ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 8/X

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
What I don’t understand is they were happy to fit the cameras in that stupid black band up the top, why not have a matching one down the bottom for a Touch is scanner that doesn’t need to be as big as the button on current phones

Or move the band up and shorten the screen slightly rather than cutting some of it out?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
The top band should have just gone all the way along the top rather than sticking out. That would do my head in when watching video's.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'd guess for videos it will just cut them down to the edge of the band.

I don't see why they didn't find a away to keep the Touch ID somewhere on the phone, on the sides or back etc.
If they add it back into the next phone this one will be seen a a bit of a failure.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Touch ID was slow as f**k from what I've seen of it. Not a patch on my Pixel XL tbh. About time they updated it to something faster really.

It was very meh on The 5s (iirc that's the one that introduced it), amazing on the 6s and I assume on the 7 too. But it's abysmal on the iPad Pro.

I don't know what they got wrong but it's properly useless to the point that I don't even bother any more.

The iPad Pro was released at the same time as the 6s iirc and the difference in responsiveness is night and day

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It was very meh on The 5s (iirc that's the one that introduced it), amazing on the 6s and I assume on the 7 too. But it's abysmal on the iPad Pro.

I don't know what they got wrong but it's properly useless to the point that I don't even bother any more.

The iPad Pro was released at the same time as the 6s iirc and the difference in responsiveness is night and day

Ahh right I assumed they were all the same.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
So just to sum up, FaceID is crap. Even though literally nobody here has used it.

Apples demo didn’t work and had to resort to a backup unit.

People who had time with the units in the hands on area said it’s very finicky and doesn’t appear to be that great.

The mechanism is more longwinded than touchid.

That’s what we know.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
So just to sum up, FaceID is crap. Even though literally nobody here has used it.
All the android users have apprently.
Apples demo didn’t work and had to resort to a backup unit.

People who had time with the units in the hands on area said it’s very finicky and doesn’t appear to be that great.

The mechanism is more longwinded than touchid.

That’s what we know.
Doesn't it take a little time to 'learn' your face though? Unlikely to happen in a little demo session.

As for the keynote f**k up, who knows.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
All the android users have apprently.

Doesn't it take a little time to 'learn' your face though? Unlikely to happen in a little demo session.

As for the keynote f**k up, who knows.

The phones were trained to a specific Apple employee not random demo people. The Apple employees had to unlock the phones, the people playing with the units were not able to do it themselves.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Is it?
Mine must be broke on my work phone then because it works about 25% of the time compared to 99% of the time on my Nexus 6p.

I've reset it countless times and it's still shite.

That’s definitely not right.

My 7 plus very rarely requires me to give it a second tap.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Is it?
Mine must be broke on my work phone then because it works about 25% of the time compared to 99% of the time on my Nexus 6p.

I've reset it countless times and it's still shite.

Definitely something not right with that. Mine works every time, and fast too. I've never had to reset it either.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Flol at wireless charging being amazing! That part brought the lols. Always one thing that is years late. And the charger will be white an mental money!

On to the X, the bezeless display it it not. Have you seen the size of the frame of the phone? It might be the body but it still looks like a massive bezel on each side.

The design looks backwards compared with 7/8 imo.

Obviously face id is the latest and greatest... Again years late!

They could have gone for rear sensor which is so easy and give the people what they want but... They're apple and that's too android looking for them.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My touch ID only works 50% of the time, and mostly end up using the psscode automatically :(

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
My 6p works 100% of the time. I genuinely can't remember the last time it didn't read my fingerprint correctly that wasn't a f*** up on my part. In fact I don't think it ever has.
I only think the 1% is me slightly missing the reader or having oily/dirty fingers.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I only think the 1% is me slightly missing the reader or having oily/dirty fingers.

Then we'll put you down at 100%. My f*** ups are when I forget I'm wearing gloves or use the wrong, non-scanned, finger.

Android rocks etc.

I'm loving Oreo, updated this morning, one tweak has made my day LOL

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Im torn between an 8 and an X...No idea what to go for.

Will be interesting to see tariff costs are like

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Im torn between an 8 and an X...No idea what to go for.
What have you got at the minute?
I'd defo say X if you can manage, as I think the 8 will be superseded next year, whereas the X will probably remain best for a couple of years

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Next generation X (X S?) will have touchID in the display IMO, they wanted it for this gen but the technology to make it work in such a slim package with OLED isn't quite there yet. It will be interesting to see how FaceID works in reality, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now but I can't see how it's going to be as convenient as TouchID. Would be rare for Apple to make a usability c**k up like that but it has happened.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Next generation X (X S?) will have touchID in the display IMO, they wanted it for this gen but the technology to make it work in such a slim package with OLED isn't quite there yet. It will be interesting to see how FaceID works in reality, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now but I can't see how it's going to be as convenient as TouchID. Would be rare for Apple to make a usability c**k up like that but it has happened.

If face id is a bit iffy in its first incarnation, the following versions will be epic.

Like the first Touch ID. You had to either click to wake then use Touch ID to unlock or click the home button, pause, then release to unlock the phone. In the updated phones, it was instant. Click to unlock.

If face Id has some quirks at first, it'll be ironed out in the future and you'll end up lifting the phone to wake without touching anything

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
What have you got at the minute?
I'd defo say X if you can manage, as I think the 8 will be superseded next year, whereas the X will probably remain best for a couple of years

I've got a 6 mate, battery is w**k.

Yeah, I agree regarding the 8. If I could I'd hold out another 12 months but I'm not sure if that'll be feasible.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently the fail on stage at the launch was due to someone/people handling the phone beforehand and it was trying to scan their face.

It asks for a passcode after 2 unsuccessful attempts, which when the guy came to use it it did.

That's an unconfirmed explaination, but it sounds plausible to me.