ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 8/X

Listerine & Poledo
Phones are getting hugely expensive. I wonder what providers will do. Wages haven't been increasing so previously providers could spread the cost over a 24 month contract and still offer the affordable monthly cost.

So what happens next. 3 year contract phones ? Phone pcp deals and the provider retains the asset?
3 year contracts were banned back in early 2000's
Phones have been "hugely expensive" before. Like when a Startac was £650 in 1999. But then the networks would be getting £30 a month from you but charge 50p a minute, 10p a text and only give, say, 200 on-net minutes.
As such, they'd rake in money from out-of-bundle charges. Enough to run call centres all in the UK.

The wages of the nation have zero bearing on how Apple or providers are going to price and place a new iPhone in the market

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Yeah I made the move to an S8+ as I knew the large screen iphone 8 would be a stupid price. Pretty chuffed with it tbh the change from ios is nice too as I've had iphones since the 4 and have become pretty bored of it.
I'm glad I read this thread, I was about to pull the trigger on a 7 but saw these couple of posts and thought I'd have a look at the Samsung first, spec/screen wise the S8 comes out on top on every review I've read, every YouTube review I've watched. Just bought a black S8 with free VR headset, 3gb/unlimited minutes & texts, £100 upfront and £27 pm on o2 (total price £748).

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Just don't stop and crack the s8 screen :wink:
I went to cpw today to see it in the flesh before ordering one, and the guy on the Samsung stand had an S8 and he wacked it on the corner of a table to show how strong the glass is, he also said they can survive a drop onto concrete, not sure how true that is but from what I've read the design has been improved over the S7 edge which used to break a lot.
I've had my iPhone 5 for years, never even had a case on it as I hate cases, and there's barely a mark on it.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I went to cpw today to see it in the flesh before ordering one, and the guy on the Samsung stand had an S8 and he wacked it on the corner of a table to show how strong the glass is, he also said they can survive a drop onto concrete, not sure how true that is but from what I've read the design has been improved over the S7 edge which used to break a lot.
I've had my iPhone 5 for years, never even had a case on it as I hate cases, and there's barely a mark on it.

If your moving iphone to S8 this might interest you. Looking at getting £350ish for my 6S as you'll get an extra £100 on top of the usual recycle price.

https://www.samsungrecycle.co.uk/offer

Should be £100 on top of the price they give you on this page..

https://www.samsungrecycle.co.uk/sell-my-phone/apple

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Girlfriend cracked her screen just on the edge, didn't smash but knackered the screen. 350-400 just for the screen.

Went through the house insurance and they just replaced the phone lol. Not a deal breaker regards getting the phone but definitely a consideration imo

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Girlfriend cracked her screen just on the edge, didn't smash but knackered the screen. 350-400 just for the screen.

Went through the house insurance and they just replaced the phone lol. Not a deal breaker regards getting the phone but definitely a consideration imo
I have mobile insurance with my bank account.

Yaris Hybrid
I've been sim-only for donkeys years. I remember when I was buying top of the range Samsungs for £450 every year and selling the old one to family or friends for £150 or something.

So £300 a year was nothing really to always have the latest phone.

Then Samsungs prices started climbing and before long were inline with Apples. Even if they were more powerful on paper they never resolved all the annoying bugs and crashes and always had their annoying UI wedged on top of Android.

So I went back to Apple and have been very happy with the experience. Thing is at current prices I'm not buying once a year anymore. At £700 that's every two years (so they get less money out of me now) and £1000 is not something I will ever pay because the phones just don't give me £1000 worth of functionality. For that money it would have to take photos like a DLSR and be as powerful as an i7 laptop!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bit of leaked info.

Going to be called iPhone 8, 8 plus and iPhone X.
Facial recognition instead of or alongside touch id.
New camera that simulates depth probably using laser controlled flash, new video settings 4k 60fps etc.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Where do the diehards stand on losing touch id? It is just so convenient and I don't think facial recognition could ever be as quick (it's also much easier to get around and can be fooled by a photo on other implementations)

I think it would be a deal breaker for me

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Where do the diehards stand on losing touch id? It is just so convenient and I don't think facial recognition could ever be as quick (it's also much easier to get around and can be fooled by a photo on other implementations)

I think it would be a deal breaker for me

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah I agree hopefully there is both.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Suspect they won't have touch id on the X, they wanted to get it integrated into the screen but it sounds like they couldn't get it to work in time. From what I've read the facial ID tech is going to be a big step ahead of other solutions - 3D modelling and using infrared too.

Personally I think they will probably still have touch ID in the "8" models but not on the X, and will then add the touch id built into the screen feature later.

Alternately maybe they'll delay shipping the X until the under-screen touch id button is available. Who knows...... Tomorrow will tell.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can it be fooled by a photo? Samsungs can't I don't think.

Touch id would be a big loss.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
iPhone can supposedly differentiate between photos and real life...
As for TouchID, seems a big loss, works so well on the 7 for unlock/apple pay so will need to impress me with FaceID

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I have to say of all the things about the new phone, that I do plan on buying, it’s the loss of Touch ID that’s the toughest to come to grips with. No home button is difficult enough, no headphone jack is meh now but the Touch ID is a fundamental part of iOS now I think

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the same, removing Touch ID would probably mean I wouldn't get the phone.

Chances are, you'd just get used to it, but it seems like tech for tech sake. What happens when it's dark, do you have to light your face up like you're telling a f**king ghost story.

Maybe I'm missing something with it?

All the gains are so marginal now, that expecting any kind of big reveal is just foolish. I do wonder what the next big thing is though?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the same, removing Touch ID would probably mean I wouldn't get the phone.

Chances are, you'd just get used to it, but it seems like tech for tech sake. What happens when it's dark, do you have to light your face up like you're telling a f**king ghost story.

Maybe I'm missing something with it?

All the gains are so marginal now, that expecting any kind of big reveal is just foolish. I do wonder what the next big thing is though?
Infrared, which is why there are more sensors by the earpiece at the top of the phone.

Apparently.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I wish they would allow the fingerprint to be read instead of waking the phone up. My wife’s Samsung does it and it’s not even a high end phone.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I think I actually unlock my phone without looking at it half the time, will it still work? Sun glasses? Beard? The lack of a button feels like there's nothing to be done if an app freezes.

I'll wait for reviews, but I nights just get a 7 when they drop the price!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I won't be able to watch live tonight.

Please can someone tag me with the details please pretty please.

Delivery date
Order date and time. Assume 8AM tomorrow.
Prices.

XXXX

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
We'll find out in 5 hours time I guess... which I'll miss, but there will be a nice summary posted online soon after.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd be a bit miffed about the loss of Touch ID, but I'd rather have a thinner bezel. You can't have everything I guess. It's better for them to not bother at all with it, rather than just tosh it on the back in a really awkward position.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They could announce a wet flannel wrapped in a hospital glove and I'd still buy it!!

Exactly!

For years you were all saying that a 3.5 in screen was perfect. Bigger wasn't needed. Nope. Not at all. Large screens were just wrong, you needed both hands to use it. One handed operation was the only way.

Then...

Oh look, a big screen, oooooh, I like...