ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone weighed a standard 172 phase 2?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I know that Renault list the kerb weight as 1110kg, but I dont know if that is inluding a 75kg driver or not like some quoted figures are and what fuel load it is based on etc.

We're trying to work out what sort of weight we can get away with loading onto a trailer without the mrs breaking the rules on her 3500kg license so need to know the weight of a 172 to work from.

Anyone actually had one on a weighbridge?

Ours is probably a little lighter than standard due to trendlines versus standard seats, rs2 versus standard inlet and turinis or oz f1 wheels versus the standard ph2 alloys, but it would be nice to know the standard weight to work from.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I see someone on that thread reckoned 1114kg from their corner weights, thats a little heavier than I was expecting TBH!

Wonder how accurate it was though.

Anyone else got any figures for the standard car?

We are thinking of a TD4 5 door freelander as a tow car, which gives us a total of about 1600kg to play with for the trailer, The trailer it should be possible to get at around 450kg, so would need the car and a spare set of wheels to total of around 1150kg ideally, but if we had to manage without wheels on the trailer it wouldnt be the end of the world.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just take yours to a weighbridge and see how heavy it is, then you'll get an accurate reading based on your spec.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Genuine question, if you got pulled over, and you explained the weight of the trailer, the car and the tow car, do you really think they'd weigh you etc?

Like are they actually that mental about things like this?

I'm sure it'd make no difference if it was 3500 or 3510 surely?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Bigash was pulled over a while back on the way to Anglesey by plod but he new his stuff and was spot on with the weight so he was ok.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh the chances of getting pulled for weight is very unlikely.

In the 5 years I was doing groundwork the van was pretty much over weight dragging its ass after every day, Got pulled just the once and was 1.5 ton over weight ended up being allowed to drive home and was told a letter would drop through the door but nothing ever came of it.

Edit- my bad I'm talking about vehicle weight not licence.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Bigash was pulled over a while back on the way to Anglesey by plod but he new his stuff and was spot on with the weight so he was ok.

That's my point, surely you'd just adjust the car's weight by the required kilograms, (what copper is going to know if it's 1150 or 1130) and you'd be fine? As long as you're not weigh out.

172 ph1, r5, clio16v
there are 3 vosa weigh bridges within 10 miles of where i live and they are always out. They love having the drivers with trailers as they know that 9/10 times they will be over. They generally allow 5% over any more and they get your pants down!

Dependent on how much your over by the fine gets bigger, points on your license and generally they will make you leave your load or at least part of it at the weighbridge and only allow you to continue once your weight is correct.

Another thing to be careful of is that the weight being towed does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. Also the weight being towed is taken off the plate on the trailer so make sure that this is right. Most car trailers have too high a plate weight and have to be down plated. If no plate is fitted they just use the sum of the tyres fitted to trailers maximum load to determine. Generally well over what the trailer can carry ( i.e approx 450kg per tyre x4 =1800kg plate weight.)
As for the weight of a clio standard kerb weight is 1180 kg according to my MOT wall chart. Getting a decent car trailer that weighs less than 450 kg and is plated to 1200kg or so may be difficult.
However is always a good excuse to lighten the clio out! Should be able to get it under 1000kg without too much butchery!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Jord was also pulled on the way back from Llando and checked so I also would want to he sure!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Davemittel, the plates dont need dropping if its for non commercial use, it instead goes by actual weight, so you can have a trailer that weighs 500kg, is plated for 2000kg, and if you have a 1000kg car on it you can tow it legally with a 1600kg tow vehicle, where as for commercial use it wouldnt be.