ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone use Airport Express or Airport Extreme?

What are your opinions on it?
I have just bought myself a Sony Vaio laptop for the living room.

Now I would like to be able to watch movies and listen to music on the hifi and TV in the living room, however the laptop will be downstairs but the PC with the 1TB of storage is upstairs.

Whats the best solution to hook it all up?

Oh and I would also like to be able to record live TV also.

cock mobile.
I bought 23 for work. Think they are very good products.

If you are going to do a lot of streaming video etc you just can't beat a network cable tho!

hmmmmmmmmm...............

I am currently renovating my house and have cabled Cat5 into every room in the house bar the bathroom, all hook up in the office into a patch panel and via a linksys router.

I may just buy a windows media centre case and a water cooled kit and just stick the 1TB of storage into that and be done with it.

I will just use the Laptop for surfing the net.

cock mobile.
I do a similar thing.

Have the server just sitting there; and a linksys wireless router that I use my Vaio with. No monitor on the server, just RDC on.

I do occassionly stream stuff but I find it better to copy first. I run mine on b I find it much more reliable and better range.

Mr2 Roadster
I think Smokey is refering to the base stations, not the cards in the machine in which case you only have the one! ;)

yeah im after the base stations.

I'm looking into MCE2005 now, seems the better option.

Will have the server in the bedroom for p2p downloading, surfing etc
Laptop is primarily for the business and living room surfing
MCE2005 machine will be home to my 260gig+ of movies, music & pictures

Now do i go for the MCE machine in the living room or just use the server in the office and have a MCE extender box?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You absolutely want to use windows for this?

If I were building some sort of media center I'd be running mythtv on the backend and then network boot mythtv frontends to cut down on the noise from the clients.

Mythtv is far better than anything I've seen under windows.