ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone successfully removed stripes??

RB 182 Cup
Right, I understand this has been a long discussed topic and I don't want any opinions on how they look horrible etc I just would like to know if anyone has done it and what the condition of the paint work underneath was like etc
I did plan to PC the car when I do come round to removing more than likely this will happen when I do my big pre FCS clean and engine polish :)

106 GTi
A few people have - Heat them up, and then remove any residue with some tar and adhesive remover. There should be no real paint fade as the paint is clear coated, if there is paint fade though nothing but a repaint will fix it.

RB 182 Cup
So do you think its worth the risk if it is possibly faded underneath?? Would pcing afterwards help as Batman is pretty good at that??

106 GTi
The risk of the paint being faded will be very low, if the paint has faded it will have faded under the clearcoat so a polish won't help that.

The PC will restore any lost gloss.

RB 182 Cup
Ah thanks for that I think its definitely going to be done, maybe post it on here once I have to help anyone else out who might want to do it.
I've never been a fan of them but kept them on due to the small numbers that had them.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
sure if worse comes to worse when you remove them and the paints faded get them back on again.

Just try a tiny bit of a strip from the edge of the bonnet or something then if it looks faded stick it back down.

Well im doing the flip mode to ya man up top and having
the stripes put back on...

I brought it without but i think it looks ace with them on

i did ......on my cup

recommend trying a small section if unsure about paint reaction underneath , did mine after 18months of stripes

"Navy" N17 TWO
How much are you selling the stripes for? :rasp:

Go for it, if they are faded then it can only lead you 3 ways;
expensive respray,
stripes back on,
or funky faded stripes :cool: - it could be the "next thing" lol

Posting a guide is a good idea too, quite a few have asked before about removing stripes and no doubt you won't be last.

RSC 182 Cup
My stripes have seen better days. They are breaking up and cracked throughout.

I started to try and remove them, using a hair dryer. After 30 minutes I got nowhere. Coming off in the tiniest of bits. It was a nightmare.

Can one just put new stripes on top of the old? Or do they have to be removed first?

You will have to remove the stripes first, probably starting breaking up n peeling of cos they have not stuck properly!

I took my stripes off with hair dryer, my mate helped, just takes time n then once off used bug n tar remover!

Either way wouldnt just put new ones on top of the old ones!