ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone removed power steering altogether

182 Clio
Hi
So just a quick one, have a clio 182 and is an out and out track car, only drive it on road to get to the track. Has anyone used the pure motor sport kit that removes the power steering all together
Just want to know if it’s better for the track in handling with it gone or not

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
I'e removed mine but not used the pure kit. Haven' had any issues on track. It' a bit of a pain to park if your moving slow

I've removed it as well, but I haven't tested it yet at the track.
I have only driven it slow and say 300 metres, it didn't feel very heavy to me.
It was a big weight saver though, something like 16 kg's.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I’ve driven a turbo (not that it makes any odds) without pas, was 10000% s**t.

If anything get epas with manual controller.

182 Clio
Just more the handling factor and feed back through the steering I wanted to know, wether better with or without

EPAS is definitely different on track due to it feeling more artificial, but with that you can adjust it to your personal preference of artificial and factor in its much more reliable then yes its better than HPAS.

Do i personally like the feel of HPAS more, yes, is it quicker on track nope!

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I’ve removed the pas and fitted a PMS quick rack and it’s sound on road or track. Can be hard doing a 3 point turn which is to be expected but on track its awesome. I’m local to Mallory park and around the hairpin (which is one of the tightest in the uk) you don’t even notice there’s no pas.

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Hi. Keen to go no PAS on my track only 182. Anyone know the part number for the shorter belt??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Hi. Keen to go no PAS on my track only 182. Anyone know the part number for the shorter belt??

Or.....do I need the PMS kit?

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Good to know thanks. Do you do circuit racing, and where did you get the cup racer PAS?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I drove mine all the way to the Nurgbergring and back with no PAS, standard loop cup rack and plastic indies that don’t open in the middle of July. It was bloody hot and hard work at slow speed like getting on the ferry but moving even in traffic changing lanes etc with 205 wide RSR tyres and was fine but a mate of mine hated driving it 😂

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Awesome thanks chaps. I’ve started taking mine out and will put a PMS pulley on. Can’t wait!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I drove mine all the way to the Nurgbergring and back with no PAS, standard loop cup rack and plastic indies that don’t open in the middle of July. It was bloody hot and hard work at slow speed like getting on the ferry but moving even in traffic changing lanes etc with 205 wide RSR tyres and was fine but a mate of mine hated driving it 😂

did similar years ago in my old turbo one, hottest summer over there in years and i had plastic windows etc, it was sweltering. had a 1.2 rack at the time as well so may turns lock to lock!

this car now has a Williams rack on it, simply with the power steering setup removed from it, not even looped or blanked or anything, lol! and as you say bit heavy on very low speed manoeuvring but fine once rolling, i run mine on full slicks to and no issue really and feedback, response etc is all perfect. in fact I'd say better than powered as its more instant. not got to wait for the fluid to drive the rack after initial wheel movement

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Just yanked my pas pump and pipes. Used the pipes I removed to make a loop and bungs - all fitted insitu. Saves about 6kg.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Can you update how it feels once you have driven it. Very interested in no PAS if not too bad. Can't see how it would be much different to older cars that never had PAS?

Interesting to read the different opinions. Is the PMS quick rack a better option?
I have also been reading about the EPAS option.
One less thing to worry about leaking

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've driven it on track now, and I think it's pretty much the same as standard. :wink:
Am I right in thinking on a cup all I need to do is get a shorter aux belt and loop the rack. Is looping the rack to prevent fluid still in the rack leaking out and water ingress? Get rid of everyhing else associated with the PAS? I run 15" wheels too so steering is lighter than on 16" wheels already.

Anyone using a quick rack without PAS?

I know I’ve asked questions before about rwmoving PAS completely but I just couldn’t take the plunge... now that my entire reservoir of fluid is still at Bedford after a few laps, I’m keen to get this sorted...

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1

I know I’ve asked questions before about rwmoving PAS completely but I just couldn’t take the plunge... now that my entire reservoir of fluid is still at Bedford after a few laps, I’m keen to get this sorted...

Yeah me and it’s sound.

182 trackcar, XC60t6

Yeah me and it’s sound.

No PAS for me. It’s fine on track.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I havent even thought about removing my PAS, it gives me 0 issues on track so I can't see the need to remove it! This would probably change if I got into racing, but im not :)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I removed mine but found it awful without it, reaction times of wheels turning were shocking.

Now installed a cup racer PAS system that sits in the scuttle and runs off 12v.

Any pics of the pump etc ? Thought about doing the same on mine.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Im going to keep mine until it starts giving me any problems as some clio’s get. Then ill be going non pas, see how it is. If i dont like it i can always go epas with controller.
Cant see non pas being bad once moving on a light car