ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone on here from New Zealand?

RB FF 182
Am moving to New Zealand in May. Just wondered if there are any members on here from over there and if so, to say hello. Is there much of a scene for RS clios over there? Not sure if ill stick with an RS car when I get out there or try something different.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I spent some time in New Zealand and didn't even see a Renault, let alone an RS Clio! You'll love it out there though, stunning country.

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
I got back from 8 months there just before christmas, i agree you'll love it... I can't wait to get back.

I saw 1 RS in the flesh out there, a sunflower ph1. Did occasionally look on Trade Me (their ebay/ autotrader) and saw the odd ad for a clio or megane; one for a 197 that claimed it was the only one in the country!

I would have a renaultsport out there in a heartbeat, some of the roads are astounding.. really made me miss my clio.

Where are you going to be based?

RB FF 182
Going to be living in Nelson. Don't really know much of the country that well so ill be touring all over so trying to decide at the minute what to do about a car. Ill be there for at least 12 months. Am thinking maybe an impreza as they seem to have lots over there, but would quite like a renaultsport..... Considered taking mine with me but it seems like a lot of hassle. Probably just keep it stored until I get back. Where a outs did you live? Any roads you'd recommend? Places to visit/not to miss?

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
Yeah there's a lot of imprezas; people will tell you to avoid them cos they've been ragged (but people probably say the same about 1*2s!). A friend got a decent one for $1600 (£800).
I was living in Wanaka for the winter working/snowboarding/drinking more than my share - its an hour north of Queenstown, a slightly more chilled version. Both definitely worth a visit. I only stopped in nelson a few nights and got a good vibe from the place, friends spent the whole summer and loved it.
In a year i reckon you'd get to see a lot of the country, even if you're settled rather than travelling. As far as the roads go, first off it's hard enough to keep your eyes on it since the scenery is often stunning. Theres an abundance of great roads to drive too, loads of twisties here and there, one favourite was near you, from Motueka to Takaka on the way to Golden Bay in the abel tasman; the switchbacks on the hillclimb and the way down were great even in a s**tty auto mazda campervan. Entire West coast of the south island too, and south from Kaikora. Avoid the massive straight boring as f*ck route south from Christchurch :sleepy:

Enough about roads, NZ has enough natural beauty,, extreme sports, good surf, nightlife, good beaches, good coffee, clean air, amazing night skies (and on and on...) to keep anyone (except maybe the most urban city dweller) happy for a year. They're a little behind the times, it's kinda pricey, especially food and clothes but you soon get used to it.
Are you on a working/holiday visa?

Last edited:
  RB FF 182
Made me even more keen to get there! Luckily I have a New Zealand passport so work is no issue. Have it by random luck as was born there as was a month early and my parents were working there at the time but I've never lived there. Only been back once for a short visit to the north island 15 years ago. I'm super keen to get back. May well end up staying, in which case ill definitely get a Clio imported. Can't wait to be outside and be near ski fields and not have millions of other people around. Are you headed back there? Everyone I know who's been just wants to go back.