ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone on EE home broadband?

koi

Audi S1
My Sky deals up and they don't discount line rental if paying up front anymore so will be paying £25 for unlimited broadband and weekend calls. Not had any major issues with them apart from a couple of outages but just seeing if there are any better options.

Seen EE do a £2/month for 12 months if you have a mobile with them and line rental comes in at £11/month (paying £132 in advance).

Is it a case of you get what you pay for? Anyone on here use EE for phone/broadband?

3 Series touring
We left sorting out the internet in our student house this year to the most ...frugal housemate.

It safe to say that in the case of EE you really do get what you pay for! Speeds are half decent very late at night but with moderate use (we use sky go, Netflix, iPlayer etc) it's not good enough. The worst is throttling at peak times which WE seem to believe is from about 2-9pm, speeds drop so much we can't use sky etc

When you phone up to complain they run a speed test which invariably 'falls within their limits' but it's useless.

3 Series touring
yma7aby8.jpg

See who actually provides the line (BT, Virgin) and go with them.

I tried going cheap with Sky on a BT line. Terrible. Switched to BT - amazing! Same line but I think the line providers customers get priority.

Can you get fibre optic? Check here;

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity

And here (in the box What Services can I get)

http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband.html

I've heard this too, that's why we're with BT rather than Plusnet for Fibre (theyre around £2/m cheaper but not worth it for priority).

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard this too, that's why we're with BT rather than Plusnet for Fibre (theyre around £2/m cheaper but not worth it for priority).

I cancelled Sky on the same day I got it. It was shockingly bad. The guy on the phone told me the Sky broadband gets throttled at peak hours especially.

Not worth it for an extra 10/20% that means you internet is useable. Although we dont have fibre optic.

Listerine & Poledo
Always love these threads.

It's like asking who does the best electric, EON or British Gas.

Same bits of wire, 99% of the same infrastructure. The only differences are price and service and no-one ever has anything good to say about service, not in this country anyway.

From my angle. Talktalk. most basic account of line and broadband only. £19 a month all-in. All the speed a "normal" BT line can handle, no limits or obvious restrictions. Never had a problem

banther

ClioSport Club Member

Same bits of wire, 99% of the same infrastructure. The only differences are price and service and no-one ever has anything good to say about service, not in this country anyway.

From my angle. Talktalk. most basic account of line and broadband only. £19 a month all-in. All the speed a "normal" BT line can handle, no limits or obvious restrictions. Never had a problem

So the lines arent limited? Is this a perpetuated urban myth?

I know the line into my house is BT, Sky used the BT line and it was terrible, switched to BT, same line, same wires and it works flawlessly. I are confused.

Listerine & Poledo
I know what you mean mr banther and I probably have over-simplified the situation.

But seriously, the maximum speed you'll get from one provider will be the near as damnit the same as with another. The only thing I would say is that if everyone on your street is on, say, Plusnet, go with someone else.

Much like when Talktak first launched its "OMG FWEE!!!!!" broadband. Everyone wanted it, so entire streets signed up and then the servers were massively strained to hack it.... that was 6 or 7 years ago mind, things have moved on.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok mr Goodj - I think we may be an exception rather than the rule as we must be in one of the only heavily populated urban dwellings to not be on the fibre optic network yet!!

Notoriously bad interwebz round here.

Had multiple providers at the old house and had varying speeds, all contracts were "Up to 24mbit", so something was going on :)

That was all with BT hardware too. Ahh well, Fibre now, no issues now.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I pay £0 p/m for my EE broadband. It's had it's problems but last time they sent me out a brand new (better) router for free after they sorted the issues (actually it was BT's fault, not really theirs) so overall pretty happy!

koi

Audi S1
Can't get Virgin Media but street across from me can which sucks. Get around 17mb with Sky, which is the fastest I can get just now.

Going to give Sky a call and say I'm thinking of leaving and see if that throws up any deals.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

there may be no obvious restrictions, but talktalk do throttle the broadband connection during peak times. Also they could be giving you a lower class broadband service on the line.. IE adsl max instead of adsl 2+

dk

911 GTS Cab
I cancelled Sky on the same day I got it. It was shockingly bad. The guy on the phone told me the Sky broadband gets throttled at peak hours especially.

Not worth it for an extra 10/20% that means you internet is useable. Although we dont have fibre optic.
Not true, sky do not throttle and downloads are unlimited.

Your first mistake was going by the first day speed as you put, they adjust the speed for the first couple of weeks to see what you're able to achieve, so it will start low and increase all the time.

I moved from flawless o2 broadband to free sky unlimited and get the same speed of 21mb download, so far I can't fault it. Never been throttled.

When we're talking LLU broadband services, then there is contention though, so it will affect your service depending on how overloaded the LLU equipment is at the exchange you're connecting to. I've never really experienced this, but the number of people who use bt means you can get this on bt broadband ( not fibre services I don't think).

As as for the line owner prioritising their customers, I think that's bullshit, the line is the telephone line, it's the LLU equipment at the exchange doing all the work and the that's owned by the company you pay.

If it's not LLU then you are sharing the bt service and in that instance it might happen, but I don't think there's much of that about these days, most providers have LLU equipment in most exchanges now.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
Llu equipment gets upgraded so often now if your provider doesn't update your speed ain't gonna be great

Clio 197 RB
Don't go with EE/Orange. We were averaging 0.2mb. Every time we called them they said nothing was wrong. We decided to go with BT infinity and now we are constantly at 65-72mb. Difference in price wasn't a vast amount.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Got a letter through the post on Friday saying they've upgraded me and I should be seeing increases of around 8Mb/s... tested it, and it's actually decreased by 4Mb/s! :(

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I have orange broadband from before they went to EE. £5pm and £15 line rental.

Its... adequate. It's fine most of the time but every now and then it'll go slow as s**t, probably peak time being late at weeknights.

I use it for browsing on the ipad, iphone and streaming to the Apple TV most times a day, I had a problem with range but I moved the router a foot and I get signal all through the house and right at the bottom of the garden.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
So the lines arent limited? Is this a perpetuated urban myth?

I know the line into my house is BT, Sky used the BT line and it was terrible, switched to BT, same line, same wires and it works flawlessly. I are confused.

sky probably had LLU equipment in the exchange and you came off it when you migrated to BT.

dk

911 GTS Cab
LLU is better for the consumer and should provide a better experience.

like when O2 offered two services, their LLU option which was all the best packages with higher speeds and limits, then their s**t product if there was no LLU equipment in your exchange where they piggy backed the bt network.

think sky have the same thing, so maybe you weren't on the LLU package, as i can't imagine the LLU being worse. But then also you didn't give it a chance as you cancelled it after a day, where it would have been at it's lowest speed during the testing period etc.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Anyone have EE broadband it's alot cheaper than bt for me.

I cant get fibreoptic or Virgin...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got it with no issues plus I get 5gb data boost a month for having a phone contract with them too