ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone got some spare thumb grips

Most people dont really replace them, either they pull them off and leave them, or pull them off and replace them with carbon fibre covers which are around £70-80 iirc

If you want the job done properly , id recommend researching a bloke called 'snappy' on here

His work is amazing, he refurbishes the full wheel with new leather and perforated grips etc

Its approx £120

his work on my clio

null_zps416513ed.jpg

I would recommend how ever getting a second steering wheel and sending him that as i did, i bought a battered wheel for £30 iirc , and sent that to be done, my original wasnt to bad and sold for £50

Reduces down time

Hope this helps

Clio 172
Ha ha

id love a refurbished wheel but 120 quid would represent 10% of my cars value and that doesn't sit too well with me. I can get a set of grips for 55 on fleabay but the gamble is whether it will look bollox when finished or not.

im always mindful of not sticking too much in as I wanna get my money back when I sell it, ergo I'm a tight cnut!

thanks for advice tho

Clio 172
Most people dont really replace them, either they pull them off and leave them, or pull them off and replace them with carbon fibre covers which are around £70-80 iirc

If you want the job done properly , id recommend researching a bloke called 'snappy' on here

His work is amazing, he refurbishes the full wheel with new leather and perforated grips etc

Its approx £120

his work on my clio

null_zps416513ed.jpg

I would recommend how ever getting a second steering wheel and sending him that as i did, i bought a battered wheel for £30 iirc , and sent that to be done, my original wasnt to bad and sold for £50

Reduces down time

Hope this helps

That does look good tho. Hmmmmmm

Good point

Does the airbag just swap over? Is it an easy job when u get a new wheel?

Yeah mate you use your old airbag , very easy push a screw driver in the holes to pop the airbag clips over , remove the airbag module ( technically you should disconnect the battery but people don't really they just unplug them)

unplug the cruise control switches , and undo the Torx 50 iirc undo it a few turns and pull the wheel towards you (this way when you pull the wheel off you don't end up with a face full of steering wheel ) and swap them over !

Make sure before removing the wheel that the wheels are straight and the keys are out the ign and on the floor

You have a funny idea of an investment is, unless he can sell it for more than the refurb cost it will always be a loss.

I bought a old wheel for £30
Refurb cost £100 as I took it myself

overall cost was £130
sold my old for £50

so refurbished wheel cost me £80 , sure there's plenty of people who will buy a snappy refurbished wheel for £80 + if they will pay £50 for a worn one !

Well my logic anyway

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a old wheel for £30
Refurb cost £100 as I took it myself

overall cost was £130
sold my old for £50

so refurbished wheel cost me £80 , sure there's plenty of people who will buy a snappy refurbished wheel for £80 + if they will pay £50 for a worn one !

Well my logic anyway

But you need to sell the car with a wheel, so you would have either not sell your old one and buy another when you do sell the car. So you would be back to being £130 down - so unless you could sell the snappy one for more than it cost you, it would never be an investment.
I appreciate you point that you can offset the cost, but using the word investment is inaccurate.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
There was a guy on here trying to make new thump grips using different materials, I remember seeing it, anyone else recall who it was or what thread? He was making his own and spoke about producing them, at quite reasonable prices.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
i'd be interested in some if they were reasonably priced. Those CF ones arent worth the money

But you need to sell the car with a wheel, so you would have either not sell your old one and buy another when you do sell the car. So you would be back to being £130 down - so unless you could sell the snappy one for more than it cost you, it would never be an investment.
I appreciate you point that you can offset the cost, but using the word investment is inaccurate.

Let me rephrase it's then , it's not an investment it's offsetting the of the cost !

It was just a suggestion on how I did it and I didn't feel the cost as much ! There's some right Heroes on here recently isn't there ?