ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone got a r5 turbo?

Titanium ph1 turbo
I remember ages ago on the RTOC website seeing an article about 5 turbos having a problem where the starter motor just makes a clicking noise and doesnt turn over sometimes, but it was fixed by changing some relay or something, wasn't the actual motor..

can anyone help me out?... I dont wanna pay them £15 just to read a bloody article! :(

cheers.

al

ST on the way...
I had the same problem with my R5, can't exactly remember the name but I think it's the bit that pushes the starter gear out.

Mine did need a new starter motor tho.

I used to have a 5turbo but never had an issue with the starter IIRC a few of the lads used to swap the renault one for a volvo 440/480 turbo unit as an upgrade to solve starting issues.

v6 mk2
i would love an r5 turbo,

contemplating whether or not to just buy 1 and run it as a toy along with the trophy!? mmmmmmm

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
chunktrophy said:
i would love an r5 turbo,

contemplating whether or not to just buy 1 and run it as a toy along with the trophy!? mmmmmmm

haha 'just run it'. be gettin repaired too much for u to be arsed. :cool:

v6 mk2
they that bad like??

seen 1 i am a hair away from going to see, has had a full engine rebuild by k-tec, what do i need to look out for?

If you get a mint well maintained one they're as reliable as anything else. I had one for 2 & 1/2 years and it never let me down once, never spat out a clutch or turbo or headgasket. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent one now though.

Titanium ph1 turbo
although they do exist..! I picked up a minter 100% standard 1 lady owner from new, every receipt from new and FSH for £1500 on ebay 2yrs ago ;).. it sits in my garage waiting for the summer months.

Titanium ph1 turbo
I used to be a member Clart, I've had 5 turbo's since I was 19 (i'm 27 now)... and I think the RTOC is a rip off... £15 a year to chat on a forum... Why should the site owners profit so hard from running a forum? Fair enough they have other stuff to offer but I live up north and don't go to any of the club events blah blah... the forum is the only requirement I have and I protest lining someones pockets to aquire information that other people are sharing freely.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
I love my 5 and would never part with her even tho she is costing me a fortune at the moment..

I am an honourary member of RTOC and think its a really good site..

Ffi Ffi

clio v6
you can still get the solenoids on its own..you got to take the starter out to fit it though.
i take it you are all talking about the 5 GT turbo and not the real 5 turbo with the engine in the back.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
chris79 said:
I used to be a member Clart, I've had 5 turbo's since I was 19 (i'm 27 now)... and I think the RTOC is a rip off... £15 a year to chat on a forum... Why should the site owners profit so hard from running a forum? Fair enough they have other stuff to offer but I live up north and don't go to any of the club events blah blah... the forum is the only requirement I have and I protest lining someones pockets to aquire information that other people are sharing freely.

the sites not OWNED by anyone.. all the moneys sat in a bank account and we have access to the info and accounts.. each year the clubs made money from N/day and memberships.. its 15 to join and 10 to renew.. they do sting the new members a little but thats also to sting breakers and sellers of the gtt and other turbocharged renaults..

last year they did a santa pod N/Day and this year they spanked a load of money on a track day at Brunters.. some people were upset that it wasnt santa pod again but other people loved the idea.. you could get on the track for £30 and thats a bargain worth joining any club for:cool:

just reread that your up north so thats a git as events are mostly down this way.. there nothing stopping members putting forward an event and in fact this year the Vice President will be sorting out the N/Day and it might be moving its way to toward you... keep your eyes peeled and remember you dont have to be a member to go either..

Last edited:
  R5gtt, 182, volvo...
**edited. i was way off there**
its likely to be the wiring to the solenoid.. get multi meter and check the voltages at various points in the starting system.. you should get a solid 12v or a little bit less due to resistance..

you could disconnect the battery and then get under the car and give the starter solenoid a whack with something, if thats not done it, get onto the one which is located somewhere else..

Last edited:
  R5gtt, 182, volvo...
chunktrophy said:
they that bad like??

seen 1 i am a hair away from going to see, has had a full engine rebuild by k-tec, what do i need to look out for?

no there not at all... its people fooking about with what they dont understand thats the problem... my 5's got 147 thou on the clock and i ran it with 1 bar of boost, a sidey and a filter for 10 thou without little more that a failed starter an a block jet to stop me..

if you want a 5 get one thats as near standard as possible thats been looked after.. there one real problem with them and that RUST, it gets everywhere.. i can't see how people are so afraid of the gtt as its SO simple.. and dont believe the head gasket pooping b0llux as they go due to HUGE boost or poor fueling..

what about turbos failing, gear box's, clutch, rad etc etc - I replaced all those bits - some a couple of times and that was 8 years ago with a K-Reg 5 turbo (one of the last ones) - cost me a fortune, thats the reason i ended up buying a new car this time - just to get the warranty.

although I do agree that if you are lucky enough to find a really looked after one it will probably be great - just dont buy a badly pre modded one. if it is modded make sure they are good mods. Half my money went on fixing othr people c**k ups

v6 mk2
i could do with seeing whats for sale on the rtoc site but not keen to pay 15 quid to look at a few cars.

some of the pics of r5's at the rtoc day are mint on here, theres something about them!!! (not that i dont love the trophy aswell!!!)

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
people say about 5's always breaking but often are just listing componants that are little to do with renault or the car... rads are bolt ons and if they fail its a manufacturers fault as the gtt doesn't smash them up while your backs turned. turbos are turbos, companys build them for audis, fords etc etc but when one fails on a gtt it cuz there turd.. perhaps its a faulty unit or perhaps it was down to poor oil pressure, but when they do go its for a reason which needs looked into.. starters fails as the starter heat shield is missing and its getting cooked.. head gaskets go due to poor fueling and people pi55ing about with boost levels to impress their mates.. copper core rads are turd and do just break, the standard item is better.

all that said most fives will cost you LOTS of money to run, mostly out of choice.. mines not cost me much than a few hundred but i guess im lucky..

here are a few for sale on the site but i've not seen them all in the flesh.. this lad selling his red ones from the rtoc.. www.pistonheads.com/sales/91750.htm

there are a few people ging to the USC this weekend if people are going.. most people on the rtoc LOVE to talk.. theres also a santa pod saturday night special that a few people are going to.. a perfect place to get the low down and watch the gasket poppers hit the strip..