ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody still using really old hardware and software at work?

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I started a new job a couple of months ago and the pc I have been given is so old! I am a web/graphic designer and I am using an archaic 17in CRT which is just shocking for graphics work.
Brought my laptop in from home to work on (I have a widescreen Vaio with the X-black screen so perfect) and they moaned and said I have to use works equipment!

Anyone else have this problem? :(

Rav4
I started my job with a single 15" screen and a Fujitsu machine with 256 ram.

I now have dual 20" HP screens, new keyboard and mouse and a dual core HP DX with 2gig of ram, not the best of specs but much better than the rubbish I had before.

If your Sony is better, use that! Tell them to pee off

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I'm a designer and still use my 19"CRT miles better for colour than any LCD screen by far!!

The difference is that your 19in CRT is probably a high end monitor.... mine is a £50 piece of Dell sh*t lol.

They are stuck in the dark ages here... :(

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a nice spanking laptop here...but everyone else gets a Dell slimline desktop, with a 3.5 inch floppy, with a massive 15 inch CRT.

Poor them LOL

No way would I let them bring their own machine to work on - I couldn't police/audit what they're doing, what's installed etc. - too much of a pain in the arse.

Octy VRS
I have a Pentium III piece of s**t that cannot cope with today's demands. It takes 30 minutes to get into Outlook in the morning so I just leave it running.

BMW F31
i'm a CAD technician, when i started was on a 17" CRT and a pc built by the local rip off IT shop, the went to a flatscreen 19" CRT with an ok Dell tower, no i'm on a 22" Dell LCD and an XPS420 quad core machine, which is ten times better than before. would like dual screens tbh.

Scirocco GT 2.0
:eek: Tell them you think the CRT screen your using for graphic work is giving you a headache, then they SHOULD do a VDU assessment and get the CRT changed, that's what we do at my work place anyway, not that we have any CRTs left now.

I use this monster at work, only got it a few weeks ago, 2xQuad Core! http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.html?t=pc&c=all&r=ANN

((Annihilator Pro + 20" wide Samsung HD monitor)

BMW F31

koi

Audi S1
I work for one of the biggest IT companies and I get a PC with a P4 and 512mb ram. Sad thing is that it's the best machines in my team!!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
All our equipment is on a 2 1/2 year rolling lease, swapped out for brand spanking stuff every time this period is up, including servers/SAN etc too :D

Happy Days

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
All our equipment is on a 2 1/2 year rolling lease, swapped out for brand spanking stuff every time this period is up, including servers/SAN etc too :D

Happy Days

My old workplace had that policy! Not used to all this old stuff :(

The screen does kill my eyes, I might have a word with them but I complained before and they weren't interested. I work for a very small company that only has about 8 office based staff.

Megane Trophy #147
i just got rid of my panasonic toughbook cf-27 runnin windows 98 and a massive 4gig hard drive that didn't like standby i rebooted it at least 3 times a day what a pile of shite got it replaced with a panasonic toughbook cf-52 which is so much better its unreal still not amazing tho! lol

SLK 350
All the stuff here gets replaced at 3 years on the dot.

With me being in IT all our team have decent stuff:

2X HP LP2065
HP XW6400 (Quad Core Xeon 5140's)
8GB RAM

Not bad kit at all!