ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any simple, yet effective engine mods?

BG 182 & 225 T
My 182 has a miltek de cat exhaust and a rs tuner remap and wanting to do a few more things, but everything seems like a grand upwards, (cams & remap, throttle bodies etc) got it lowered on coilovers with turinis too.

heard about matched inlets and a cup manifold,

anything else?

Renault Clio182 bean
Just check if the lower inlet manifold is stamped 'RS' on the outer of the manifold on middle inlet tracks. The manifold marked 'RS' has better machining/port match than the original ones, there are still gains to be had but not as much. I did mine this week and was glad I did. unfortunately to get these engines near or over 200bhp your talking ££££

Renault Clio182 bean
No such thing as a cup manifold.

The 182 4-2-1 manifold is supposed to be better than the 172 4-1 manifold. If thats what you meant.

I wondered this, b****cks to changing the manifold as its not a nice job iirc, 4-2-1 and 4-1 don't offer much in terms of noticeable gains anyway, one offers better low-mid range and the other offers more high end power (4-1 iirc)

BG 182 & 225 T
Aw I'm sure I read that the rs2 manifold was the cup one? Yeah sadly it's mega bucks for little gains!

M2 Comp
You have done everything you can really unless you want to start spending silly money. Just leave it as it is and keep it well serviced IMO.

Renault Clio182 bean
Plus - by the looks of it he already has a 182!

Yeah I know, I have heard or people using 4-1 manifold for the sake of better top end though, I don't think either is better, just different power delivery tbh, depends where you want your power haha!

BG 182 & 225 T
You're welcome :)

I was seriously answering your question though.

I could elaborate, but in short there are no simple yet yet effective engine mods in my opinion that make the car any better that standard.

so I am reading, cams do tempt me though

Eh? The RS2 Manifold is something completely different.

EDIT: Oh. No.

just what I read on here a whole ago, any views on the rs2?

Renault Clio182 bean
Yeah^ bloody expensive, and cant buy them anymore, so need somebody to be selling one lol, but they are good, but not quite itbs ;)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
just what I read on here a whole ago, any views on the rs2?

FCS1016of74.jpg

Adds 15 or more BHP, and improves the spread of torque across the rev range. Pricey, but then anything to get power out of the engine is.

Oh and if you have cruise it'll still work with the RS2 as it uses standard engine management, whereas with ITBs you have to go to standalone management and cable throttle.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You can do cams and a remap for about £650-700 but that doesn't include fitting and new belts etc.

Its worth doing when you need the belts doing though.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Maybe. He posted on Pistonheads (where I got the picture from) and he wrote 'you can get a RS2 for 18bhp dyno proven gains'

I've never had an RS2. Well actually i did, but i never fitted it, so sold it to Nick172Cup (as it was his old RS2+ setup).

Re: PH, that was posted on the 5th July 2010, so was probably from one of Tom's posts on the subject.

I still believe the RS2 was/is a very good piece of kit.

BG 182 & 225 T
You can do cams and a remap for about £650-700 but that doesn't include fitting and new belts etc.

Its worth doing when you need the belts doing though.
Yeah that's why I said its upwards of a grand.

The rs2 sounds worth a purchase, any views on a lightened fly wheel?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a lightened flywheel. You can feel the difference although you'll have to have the box off and a new clutch. So mot worth doing unless you need thedo the clutch.

phase 1 172
cams at belt time isnt that pricey tbf the belt changee is half the battle

and max bhp figures dont really mean alot for drivability and how fast it actually is