ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any exterior lighting (for home) experts on here?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Help please.

I have 5 exterior lights around my house that are set to a timer, and have a separate switch also.
I want to get this kind of light:
41ZcVHJPTXL.jpg

Wiring them up, not an issue.
But, I'd like the lights to adhere to the timer, but once the timer is switched to 'off' at ~2130 I want the PIR to kick in, and act as security lights. Is this sort of logic built into exterior lights these days?

TIA !

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
It depends if the cable feeding your original lights. Is it a 3 core cable ? as you will need a switched live (timer) permanent live (pir) neutral and Earth ? If not you can't make a 2 core cable do 2 jobs (switches) as lights need a neutral and if your getting metal fittings they must have an earth. Hope that helps.

Clio 182 Track Car
I wanted to do a similar thing but in the end we opted for up & down lights on a timer and a led flood light on its own sensor for security lighting. Its discreet and lights up far better than the spots lights do