ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any 182 owners !!

BMW M3

Can any 182 owners tell me whether they hear a ticking noise from the engine when the car is stationary after a few minutes and warmed up? Such as in traffic. I am not sure if this is supposed happen.

If nobody has experienced this in their 182, im of to the garage.

Anybody heard this before... thanks.

tiTTy & SV650

u sure you arent hearing the exhaust heatshield contracting? guess not if engine is running still.

go to an independent garage to get a diagnosis before taking to renault - and tell renault what it is

Mazda MX5 1.8

the rev counter mechanism ticks when going slowly (ie. in traffic) but not sure if its stationary and ticking over........

BMW M3

Thanks guys..... well if you have not heard this before, then its obviously normal. Better go to the garage then.

Thanks...

BMW M3

Just been for a test drive.... occurs 1 min after stopping the car with engine running. Can hear it quite loudly in the cabin, but when i lift the bonnet i hear nothing until i get back in the car. The noise ticks over at the same speed as the RPM and then disappears at around 2500rpm...... wierd?

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

Quote: Originally posted by clio__chris on 04 June 2005

the rev counter mechanism ticks when going slowly (ie. in traffic) but not sure if its stationary and ticking over........
mine does this ...when its stationary too...always done it.......asked about it a while a go on here and quite a dew eople had it in their cars...:D

V6 255, 172's, JCW,

Yup... mine does this too. More of a tapping noise though i wouldve said. If youre gonna take it back to renault, let us know how you get on eh...!

Clio 182 / Lotus Elise S1

Yep had it on mine too although it went away a few thousand miles away.. weird! lol

BMW M3

Just been to the renault dealer and spoke to the service desk and some of the machanics and they dont know what the noise could be. They suggested that i book it in to be checked out but will just wait till my service at 12,000 which should only be in couple of weeks as ive got a 400+ mile trip coming up. So unless anyone has an answer to my engine tapping noise, i will just have to wait till then...... thanks for your help.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220

Mine makes some weird noises on tickover! It runs all lumpy (using super unleaded) and I think its going to stall all the time when in traffic etc.

BMW M3

I always use optimax and it seems to be fine. I wouldnt have said mine runs lumpy, just occationally fluctuates the revs a bit like many performance engines. Its just this weird tapping noise thats confusing me..... at least it doesnt seem to affect it performance.

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Munday on 07 June 2005

Mine makes some weird noises on tickover! It runs all lumpy (using super unleaded) and I think its going to stall all the time when in traffic etc.
Yeah me too...I also get a strong smell of screenwash sometimes - guess thats cos its Renault!

Mine also seems to run lumpy when in traffic. It kind of shudders. I was going to post about it on here. Glad to see im not the one this happens to.

182 Spiced

I have had the same prob for a while now. Its been in three times now, and guess what - no change!

Its getting booked again as it is well annoying and def. doesnt sound right. I think this could be a problem with most Renos in the future... (hope not for all you out there)!

Im hearing of a lot of this problem now... Ive done 14.5 K miles. Maybe its the new special 14.5K knock - upgraded or should I say downgraded from the old 172 4000k knock??

Full Fat 182 - Was..

dude, i have this with my car!!! they told me it was the ACS valve, they replaced it and it still ticks!

when your in the car if you pulse the pedal then the ticking will increase with the reves for a second or two then stop, then come back when the car returns to idle.

the ticking noise comes from the lower left hand side of the engine block, right down at the bottom near the aircon system

if you sit in your car and turn on the ignition and wait for a few seconds does the tapping as opposed to a ticking start? mine developed this further noise after a bout a week after the ticking at idle started

Renault have been holpless and keep telling me not to worry... if you get it fixed please tell me

cheers

james

Full Fat 182 - Was..

it always seems to be near the first service... i get all the normal probs to on and 04 182, screenwash, lumpy idle etc etc, but this ticking is a new one to me...

BMW M3

My car has done about 11500 miles and from what i can remember, i has always done it since new. Having done this from new, i originally thought it was meant to happen, like it being some fuel saving measure or something. As many peoples renaults dont do this and renault dont seem to have a clue, i guess it shouldnt.

I also feel that when i book it in, suprisingly, renault wont hear the noise and wont find any problems not realising that it requires a few variables for the noise the occur such as 1. Needs to be driven + warm. 2. Need to wait a couple of minutes for the knocking to start ( which i dout they will do) 3. Needs to be relativly quite outside ( which garages are not )

I will try to explain this to them and will post the result on this thread within a couple of weeks. ( if i can find it lol)

Thanks again.....