ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anti freeze help!

172 Ph2 Flamer
I want to top up my anti freeze but I have got this stuff ( pic ) will it be ok to use also I ain't got a clue whats in there at the moment blue pink or even green from what I have read in other threads, any help will be appreciated

3a445a6d.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I am anal about antifreeze.

Many years ago I mixed brands of antifreeze and they congealed into some sort of paste. Completely fcuked my car up to the point I eventually scrapped it.

For that reason, if you're in doubt, drain it all and refil it with your new stuff.

I absolutely 100% do not know for certain. However... you'd have to assume an F4R takes OAT/pink/G11 SURELY?

Will be interesting to here of any F4R specific advice from the usual, Fred, Danny etc

Last edited:
  172 Ph2 Flamer
I absolutely 100% do not know for certain. However... you'd have to assume an F4R takes OAT/pink/G11 SURELY?

Will be interesting to here of any F4R specific advice from the usual, Fred, Danny etc

What ever that means lol !!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fred will only recomend Renault type D coolant. Nothing else.

"OAT" stands for something which I can't remember! The technical term is G11 and is usually pink in colour (as per your pic). Supposed to last 10 years before needing replacement (though who is comfortable with the idea of 10 year old fluid in their car? not me...) OAT uses relatively modern chemically engineered additives. As a GENERAL (and I can't stress that enough) 2001 onwards cars use OAT. Introduced as it works very well with aluminium engine blocks.

"IAT" also stands for something which I can't remember :p Technical term is G10, usually blue. Lasts 2 to 3 years before needing replacement. Is made predominantly from naturally occuring/easily obtainable silicone_something. As an equally GENERAL rule of thumb, IAT/G10/blue is used for pre-2001 cars.

You have to get the correct one. You absolutely 100% can not mix the two types. In theory, though Daniel had a bad experience, it should be perfectly fine to mix two different brands of the same type (i.e. Halfords OAT/G11/pink & something else OAT/G11/pink)

As getting the correct type is so crucial, it will almost certainly say in the vehicle handbook (no longer have a 182 so can't look, sorry!) which type you need. Go with whatever that says tbh!

Completely irrelavent to us Renault folk but maybe of interest none-the-less, VAG have gone off & decided there is a need to invent G11+, G11++ and G12 which have yet more rules about what you can and can't mix. This stuff is generally only available from VAG and apparantly VAG will come to your house and assassinate you if you put standard G11 and not their special +/++/12 stuff in your engine. More not-actually-relavent-to-your-Q-but-coolant-related-info is that you can generally use OAT/G11/pink in older engines that originally took IAT/G10/blue if you drain & flush the entire system and start from scratch - though why you wouldn't use the correct type is beyond me.

Last edited:

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I would never mix coolant, If i was short and needing a top up i would add alittle water to the mix but mixing coolant is a no no. Renault use type D and its cheap for a 5L bottle from teh stealers.

In my vectra i drained the lot and put in Vw G12 and that has been changed every year with a coolant flush

Pics022.gif

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Renault recommend a Glycol based anti-freeze. "Type-D" is merely the mix specification which states it protects between -20 and -23Degrees and is not a brand or product name. It comes in various colours also but its not mega important only stipulating the suggested time period it should be left in.

I to highly recommend the original Renault pre-mix solutions and wouldnt recommend you use VW spec fluids though if you fully drain and flush the system, the G11 should be okay to use if mixed right.

mixing coolant is a no no.

LOL. You couldn't be more wrong according to the manufacturers! The whole point of having the G11 standard is that they can be mixed. LOL there's even a British Standard code printed on the bottle FFS. Not to mention G11+ and G11++ are also made specifically to be mix-able (lol?) with G11.

I completely agree you can minimise the chance of any problems (with anything, ever, from petrol to your favourite tikka massala sauce...) by sticking to a single brand, and if you've seen the crap that comes out of the radiator drain tap you'll want to flush the whole thing and start from scratch anyway!

Back to useful advice though: If Renault do a specific ani-freeze for your car that is different to G11, there is no excuse not to err on the side of caution and use it tbh.

172 cup trackday
Sorry to bring up an old thread, I have this ccolant sitting in the workshop, is it OK to use on a 172 cup ?.
I understand the differences in colours and grades, but, nobody has answered the original question ?
Is the pink Triple qx antifreeze suitable for a clio cup ?
Cheers in advance

172 cup
I was in eurocarparts to day looking for antifreeze for a 182. Renault say use only type D antifreeze but I thought the Triple QX might do instead. The label on the back of all the Triple QX bottles states that it is NOT miscible with type D. I didn't know what this meant so looked up the word miscible, it means "capable of being mixed".
So that means your Triple QX can't be used in your Renault unless you flush out all the type D first.

Clio 172 phase 1
Drain all the old stuff and re fill it won't hurt for it to have nice new antifreeze any how.. And uve got 5 litres of it o.a.t is organic acid tech it's ethaline glycol where as blue it's mono ethaline I believe red is the one to go for just drain it out ull be fine

Lionel Richie
why use anything but type D??? all the others from GSF,ECP etc actually COST MORE than the GENUINE STUFF

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not to mention its a pain in the ass to mix up to the correct specification beforehand. As Fred said above, just buy yourself 5l of Renault Type-D and be done.