ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Telephoto Lens Thread

I did a search already and found so much information on Lens that really got me going. However, all the threads are tailored to different people with different uses and different budgets (obviously), so maybe someone can help me out.

I'm still new to photography, so bear with me...

I'm finding my standard 18-55mm lens a bit limiting with its zoom functionality and want something with more range. I was thinking 70-200/300mm would be perfect.

Budget is £150ish if I don't want a tonne of ear ache from the better half.

Use would be for casual holiday and weekend snaps and for the occasional track day (I.E Oulton park BTCC in July.)

Someone at work is advising to get a Tamron lens, but after literally reading all the threads in this forum that returned results for "telephoto" I've found some other contenders.

The two I found via this forum that seem appealing are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000V9D5LG/?tag=cliospnet01-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0056E49MK/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I also found this from Tamron:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/66320/show.html

With the two Canon Lenses I don't understand the difference. With the Tamron Lens, I am guessing it's cheap because it's not as good?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Tom.

2.2 bar shed.
The second Canon link you posted is a revision of the first lens, a version 2 model. Considering the price its a fairly good lens.

Clio MK3 DCI
The tamron is cheaper as its not made by Canon. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the Tamron lens on a Sony A550. Works great for my occasional use.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
55-250 mk2 (more expensive one) is a great lens. Had one with my 450D.

Picked up the Tamron very cheap and it's fine. It does the job but it's cheap... you get what you pay for.

Tamron:

4536071936_703391f475_z.jpg

Tugs racing on the Thames by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Canon @55mm

3179889235_aaeaf4c4e2_z.jpg

IMG_0921 by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Canon @250mm from same spot

3179890567_f2bf28afab_z.jpg

IMG_0928 by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the first one, I think I paid about £160 for it last year, the other was still at near full price iirc.
Not the sharpest of lenses but it's a good lens for the money.

This was at full zoom
6299143477_365d0a7863_z.png

Eyes by A_Cro, on Flickr

EDIT - Just noticed you want it for motor sport.

This was taken at Oulton Park last year, first time I've tried panning at it worked pretty well IMO.

6094187482_b8c0fc7cd3_z.png

Oulton Park -19 by A_Cro, on Flickr

Last edited:
Canon 55-250 all day long. It's an absolute bargain of a lens IMO. Optically it's superb for it's price and the IS on it is VERY effective which compensates well for it's lack of speed.

Never used the Tammy but it's reviews aren't great. Supposedly the AF is pretty poor which would be an issue for your motorsport.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I have the Tamron Sony A-Mount version and for the price it is a excellent lens. I've used it for motorsport without any real problems but I do plan on upgrading to the more expensive USD version. I do benefit from in-body IS though with Sony so not sure how well the lens performs on Canon.

6109537779_4abe38c31a_z.jpg

6109578211_12fe5a63f8_z.jpg

5846374081_60f67bfaf2_z.jpg

Excellent choice

Tamron quality really is shite - and with the 55-250 canon lens being so good for the money I always wonder why people throw money away on tamron crap.
You'll love that lens!

Tamron quality really is s**te - and with the 55-250 canon lens being so good for the money I always wonder why people throw money away on tamron crap.
You'll love that lens!

That's not really fair IMO. I had their 28-75 f2.8 and it was absolutely superb optically - Just a slightly odd range on a crop camera. Apparently their 17-50 f2.8 is excellent as well, gets stellar reviews and makes a good compromise between the kit lenses and the pro f2.8 zoom lenses.

Anyway, agreed on the OP loving his 55-250. I think it's a corker for the money. It was one of the two lenses I kept when I sold the majority of my gear.

Citroen DS3 DSport
That's not really fair IMO. I had their 28-75 f2.8 and it was absolutely superb optically - Just a slightly odd range on a crop camera. Apparently their 17-50 f2.8 is excellent as well, gets stellar reviews and makes a good compromise between the kit lenses and the pro f2.8 zoom lenses.

I agree, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is fantastic and the 70-300mm USD also receives great reviews.

Tamron 2.8 is very sharp, even more so the non is version. I understand the Canon 17-55 is fractionally sharper but not fractionally pricier.

It's here.
It's heavier than my camera.
It's awesome.

I've only had a quick blast off of the balcony at the risk of looking like a voyeur and it's really really good. It doesn't hunt any more than my kit lens, so it's good in my eyes. I can't wait for the weekend!

Thanks for all the advice guys - I'm really happy with my choice and the advice y'all gave me. :) Top notch.