ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another PH1 Idling thread

Clio Phase 1 172
Hi chaps. My first post, so be gentle.
I have recently bought a PH1 172. I'm generally quite pleased with it apart from a couple of issues, the main one being the idling.
When the engine is first started it idles as expected, round about 1200 rpm. When the engine is up to temp it idles around 2000rpm and fluctuates, bouncing between near stalling and 3000rpm, but always ends up around 2000rpm
Looking at past threads on this subject i have replaced the ICV, thouroghly cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and checked for air leaks.
Would i be right in thinking that the next step would be to replace the TDC Sensor, MAP and Air temp Sensor? I'm hoping you're not going to say "TPS" as they seem to be going for £500+ on FleaBay.

Many thanks in advance

Ph 1 172
Have you put it on a diagnostics machine yet? See what faults it throws up it will tell you exactly whats wrong and you can just change that part instead of throwing £££ at it.

any warning lights on dash?

when was the last service?

unless you have my fault that I've just posted what has not fault codes.

Clio Phase 1 172
Have you put it on a diagnostics machine yet? See what faults it throws up it will tell you exactly whats wrong and you can just change that part instead of throwing £££ at it.

any warning lights on dash?

when was the last service?

unless you have my fault that I've just posted what has not fault codes.

Thanks for the reply:)

Will try with my ODB reader, although i don't think they play well with these ECU's
I won't take it to Renault to get a fault read as the cost of the parts i'm changing is only a couple of quid more than they'd charge for the read!
No warning lights on the dash and no service history (whaddya expect for £600!)
Doesn't seem to be the same fault as yours.

Thanks again.

Mec 350 slk manual
Hi chaps. My first post, so be gentle. I have recently bought a PH1 172. I'm generally quite pleased with it apart from a couple of issues, the main one being the idling. When the engine is first started it idles as expected, round about 1200 rpm. When the engine is up to temp it idles around 2000rpm and fluctuates, bouncing between near stalling and 3000rpm, but always ends up around 2000rpm Looking at past threads on this subject i have replaced the ICV, thouroghly cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and checked for air leaks. Would i be right in thinking that the next step would be to replace the TDC Sensor, MAP and Air temp Sensor? I'm hoping you're not going to say "TPS" as they seem to be going for £500+ on FleaBay. Many thanks in advance
i don't think a code reader will tell you anything there , I have the same prob & put a new idle control valve on a did not solve the idle changed the throttle body 3 times , checked the top inlet for air leaks all ok , and now going to change the idle sensor on the side of the throttle body to see if that helps.

Clio Phase 1 172
i don't think a code reader will tell you anything there , I have the same prob & put a new idle control valve on a did not solve the idle changed the throttle body 3 times , checked the top inlet for air leaks all ok , and now going to change the idle sensor on the side of the throttle body to see if that helps.

Idle sensor on the side of the throttle body? Is that not the throttle position sensor?
I should have my parts coming tomorrow,so i'll update this thread on how i get on.
I suspect the MAP. When i got in from work it was idling high as usual until i disconnected the MAP, then idled ok. Not a permanent solution as i think it will run very lean without the MAP connected.
Thanks for the responses, and i'll keep ya posted ;)

Mec 350 slk manual
Yes , let me no what you have changed to get the idle right , I have not changed the map sensor yet . Thanks

Clio Phase 1 172
Things it's not...
CPS, MAP, ICV, Inlet temp sensor. all gasket areas sealed with RTV. TB is clean and closing properly.
​Next thing is TPS!

Lots of Alfas
Welcome to Cliosport, have you checked the gasket between the throttle body and the top plenum chamber? Also check the rubber gaskets for the inlet air temp sensor (rubber o ring) and the icv.

When its idling too high have you jumped out the car and checked the position of the throttle in the engine bay to see if its fully sprung back to its idle home position? if you can flick it back to normal idle speed with your finger, it could be a sticking throttle cable, they sometimes fray and cause the cable to get stuck in different places and can even cause it to fluctuate as it moves..

Clio Phase 1 172
Welcome to Cliosport, have you checked the gasket between the throttle body and the top plenum chamber? Also check the rubber gaskets for the inlet air temp sensor (rubber o ring) and the icv.

When its idling too high have you jumped out the car and checked the position of the throttle in the engine bay to see if its fully sprung back to its idle home position? if you can flick it back to normal idle speed with your finger, it could be a sticking throttle cable, they sometimes fray and cause the cable to get stuck in different places and can even cause it to fluctuate as it moves..

Thanks for the reply
I have taken off and stripped back the manifold and then sealed all the component parts with RTV before re assembly.
The throttle cable and body mechanism seem to move freely, but I will check again when it starts misbehaving.
Do you know where the thin pipe running from the back of the manifold through the firewall goes to? I'm think vacuum feed for the heater controls?

​Cheers