ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another non-starting issue... :(

Hi, purchased 2000 1.4 clio sport yesterday. Started fine when I viewed, then again yesterday when I picked it up. 40 mile trip home, stopping for some fuel and then again some shopping at Asia. Started fine both times. Went to start it last night to put it away for the night and wouldn't start. Dash lights come but then when you turn the key nothing happens at all, not even turning the engine over.

I've had good trawl though the forum and tried a number of things. It won't jump start with leads, but bump started fine in second gear and ran fine. No issues with the immobiliser that I can detect.

Cleaned the battery negative terminal and it's earth connection. There was also another thicker earth connection at the same point which went to a bracket close to the right hand side of the top of the engine. I haven't though been able to locate an earth going from the gearbox to the chassis. Would there be one on this car? If so, could someone possibly post a picture up of where to look? perhaps it's fallen off on the way home?

Battery is fully charged with all lights, fan, windows, locking, etc all working fine with no dip in power.

One thing I'm struggling to locate is the starter motor to check the wiring there. Been in contact with the previous owner and they didn't have any issues with it.

Bit frustrated with it today. One thing I did notice yesterday when we collected it was that the clock was flashing. It's now so dim you can barely see it. Everything else working fine though.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Clio 182
What did you use to test the battery? My 182 done exactly the same last year, it turned out to be the battery

Sorted. Broken wire going into the starter motor. All fine now. Spent extra getting the new battery it didn't need, but I'll consider that as preventative maintenance. :)