ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another boost thread

Skoda Fabia VRS
First off, I'm not going to do the same as most and ask how much, what power and all that rubbish, I'm merely after some advice and or feedback from certain members. Basically I've come into a little lump of money, £1500 to be exact and you can tell where this is going. Firstly I thought, great, I'll just throw money at the car, Rs Tuner, coilovers and 2118's (which were all on my list anyway), and then a nice camera for myself. But that got me thinking, along with having a look on ClioTurbo and a few threads. I'm going to be keeping this car for a while, whatever happens, so I thought about putting this money towards a future boost setup, undecided on charged/turbo yet but that's my thoughts. Basically, I've read that the low boost package is around £2500 from Clio Turbo iirc, my question is to any of you who've done this, what other modifications have you done in regards to better this package? ie; gearbox, exhaust setup (does the package actually include mapping?) and any other bits I'm missing. What sort of cost would I be looking at all in possibly for a Supercharger to be fitted (I know @Cub. is the man to ask about this), as I haven't seen quotes online for said setup. This wouldn't be happening for roughly a year depending, so I've got plenty of time to save up the extra costs as I'm sitting on about £2000 with current savings added to the lump of money I've received. Any advice is more than welcomed, and for reference my car is a FF 182 currently at 78k miles, which has a very healthy engine.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've no experience with the turbo route in afraid. But if I had a couple of grand spare and wanted to throw it in the car I'd probably opt for itbs. But if you really want the turbo feel go for it mate, only live once and all that jazz.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Before I give some advice bud, what is the car mainly used for? Daily and nice drives at the weekend, or track focused / stripped out rattler?
At the moment, merely driving to my girlfriends house (10 mile round trip) and occasional use, maybe once a week to work as I lift share with my dad, so if he's off etc. I'm hoping at the end of the year if things go my way, I'll have gained an apprenticeship I'm in the process of applying/meeting an Electrician about, and will have my own works van, meaning the Clio will be pleasure usage only. I'd like to attend track days in the future, but not for a very long time yet. I plan on keeping the car full interior, as it will always be a bit of fun, but practical to use on times too.

Skoda Fabia VRS
But if you really want the turbo feel go for it mate, only live once and all that jazz.
That's mainly my thought, still living with my parents and will do for another good few years at least, and I have no commitments other than a Girlfriend (the pain is real), so I'd like to put some money away for a while and put it into the Clio.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Have you experienced a boosted clio before?

Additional upgrades I would recommend is an LSD and some uprated brakes to start.
I have not, I've witnessed many but never had the joys of experiencing it for myself. Can't believe brakes fled my mind on upgrades, of course haha. I just want to start putting a list together as I've said above, I have plenty of time to save up and obviously there is no rush.

They are awesome, it's just knowing when to stop on the upgrading!

If I were you I'd go fully forged to begin with, if you can afford too. Then you have the room to increase the power with the engine internals being capable of taking the strain, instead of doing the low boost conversion and then wanting more power.. saves money in the long run.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
At the moment, merely driving to my girlfriends house (10 mile round trip) and occasional use, maybe once a week to work as I lift share with my dad, so if he's off etc. I'm hoping at the end of the year if things go my way, I'll have gained an apprenticeship I'm in the process of applying/meeting an Electrician about, and will have my own works van, meaning the Clio will be pleasure usage only. I'd like to attend track days in the future, but not for a very long time yet. I plan on keeping the car full interior, as it will always be a bit of fun, but practical to use on times too.

I'll put up a response a bit later, as I'm a bit hectic at work at the mo. But I will reply.... :)

Skoda Fabia VRS
They are awesome, it's just knowing when to stop on the upgrading!

If I were you I'd go fully forged to begin with, if you can afford too. Then you have the room to increase the power with the engine internals being capable of taking the strain, instead of doing the low boost conversion and then wanting more power.. saves money in the long run.
Good shout, things like this I hadn't really put into perspective. I'm not setting myself a budget atm, as I know that'll go tits up and probably have an extra ££££ on top.

I'll put up a response a bit later, as I'm a bit hectic at work at the mo. But I will reply.... :smile:
Thanks mate appreciate it. :)

turbo 182
If your going to track it stick n/a or low blow super charged, if you want to turbo it and have it as a track then expect to spend big money, there is a lot of things you need to upgrade and ' future proof ' especially if you want it to last and be realiable whilst on track

Skoda Fabia VRS
If your going to track it stick n/a or low blow super charged, if you want to turbo it and have it as a track then expect to spend big money, there is a lot of things you need to upgrade and ' future proof ' especially if you want it to last and be realiable whilst on track
By track it I mean like maybe twice a year sort of thing, nothing competitive just purely for a good laugh. It will primarily be a weekend/toy merely to have the fun factor, and obviously to hear ptshhhhhhhh.

Clio 172 Phase 2
Interested I this thread, it's definitely something I'd potentially be looking at within the next year or so but as with the op don't know whether to turbo or supercharge. Mines a daily so it'll only be the low boost set up if I did go the turbo route as I'd still need to retain some reliability.

turbo 182
By track it I mean like maybe twice a year sort of thing, nothing competitive just purely for a good laugh. It will primarily be a weekend/toy merely to have the fun factor, and obviously to hear ptshhhhhhhh.
Depends how much you want to spend lol if you just want the noise get the stage 1 kit clio turbo offer but with the gt2560 turbo so can run up to 250 if you need to, mine is 250bhp on low boost on a gt2860 and that's about perfect power for traction etc, that's with a quaife

Skoda Fabia VRS
Speaking with Andy@clioturbo atm, giving me some ins and outs and what he recommends. Unless charging can convince me otherwise, I think I'll be going down the stage 1 kit from clio turbo. Unless money is there, and I can afford to go balls deep.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
hi mate,

My advice would be to read a few members threads on their cars. My thread is in the media section somewhere under turbo'd cup. Personally I think turbo charging the Clio really brings the car to life but as others have said you will also need budget for other components breaking and parts you will want to upgrade like a clutch, engine mounts, brakes etc etc.

If you do decide to do it though Andy at Clio-turbo is your man. The guy is a legend!!!

Skoda Fabia VRS
Currently have PMS solid top mounts, and a complete engine polybush kit was also on the cards in the future, but I'm sure I've read that solid engine mounts are more recommended? All things will be taken into consideration, as I'd really love for this to happen, and I'm prepared to empty my wallet completely lol.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
So, my two pence is;

- think long and hard before you do it. Boosting / iTBs a clio for me is pretty much a long term commitment to the car. You won't sell it for what it cost you, and breaking it can be a ball ache. Compared to the cost of the car, it is a significant outlay so you need to be sure you want to do it.

- For daily driving and the occassional weekend "spurt" with one or two trackdays I'd go low boost around 230bhp. Keep internals stock and if fitted and mapped correctly it should be reliable. I'd say supercharge it but the cost Andy can do the turbo packages at seems ridiculously good value.

- For road driving, a decent standard brake setup with track focused pads, decent fluid and brembo HCs should be fine. I'd look at upping to 4 pots if the on track use increased.

- For track cars, the supercharger was the last thing I did. I think for track cars I'd modify it in the following order; brakes, wheels / tyres, weight loss, suspension, roll cage, diff, more power. But for road cars, then power can move further up the list.

Costs for a supercharger setup running the same as mine (250bhp / 220 lb ft) including new parts, someone else doing the work and mapping and: £5.5kish. If you source second hand parts, can do the fitting and the belts etc yourself and only externalise the map you may be able to be around the £3 to £3.5k mark. But you'd be lucky to find secondhand supercharger parts....

I'd recommend getting solid engine mounts with any boosted set up. I'd also recommend having the suspension in good condition. Basically, if you boost the car and put more power through it, it will quickly expose weaker / older components in the suspension. Not point having power if you can't use it or put it down.

A good project to look through would be Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182. It is in essence a road car, with a charger.

I'd say look at mine, but in truth, mine is too track focused to compare now. I will definitely say, given your location, speak to @Dan@SJM as he fitted my kit and runs boosted clio's himself. Top guy.

I absolutely love my charger kit, and it has added a new dimension to a car I already thoroughly enjoyed. My advice is do it, if you are keeping the car for long enough that it makes sense financially.

Skoda Fabia VRS
If my pricing is correct, I'll be looking at about just over £4000 all in. With added Quaife atb, and helix paddle clutch, or for running around 250bhp is there any need for a Helix?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I'd happily drive a low/mid boost turbo converted 182 with little for than a zorst, filter, upgraded pads..

I've been considering buying a charged Clio and downgrading all the bolts ons because it's not essential.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
If my pricing is correct, I'll be looking at about just over £4000 all in. With added Quaife atb, and helix paddle clutch, or for running around 250bhp is there any need for a Helix?

I wouldn't run a Helix for 250bhp on a supercharger. I'm running 250 and have absolutely no need for one, so don't have one. I recognise a turbo is slightly different power delivery, so I'd trust the turbo guys recommendations on needing helix on their side.

A diff on these, especially for track use, is one of the best mod's I have done. Even with standard power a diff on track makes a great addition.

Skoda Fabia VRS
So, my two pence is;

- think long and hard before you do it. Boosting / iTBs a clio for me is pretty much a long term commitment to the car. You won't sell it for what it cost you, and breaking it can be a ball ache. Compared to the cost of the car, it is a significant outlay so you need to be sure you want to do it.

- For daily driving and the occassional weekend "spurt" with one or two trackdays I'd go low boost around 230bhp. Keep internals stock and if fitted and mapped correctly it should be reliable. I'd say supercharge it but the cost Andy can do the turbo packages at seems ridiculously good value.

- For road driving, a decent standard brake setup with track focused pads, decent fluid and brembo HCs should be fine. I'd look at upping to 4 pots if the on track use increased.

- For track cars, the supercharger was the last thing I did. I think for track cars I'd modify it in the following order; brakes, wheels / tyres, weight loss, suspension, roll cage, diff, more power. But for road cars, then power can move further up the list.

Costs for a supercharger setup running the same as mine (250bhp / 220 lb ft) including new parts, someone else doing the work and mapping and: £5.5kish. If you source second hand parts, can do the fitting and the belts etc yourself and only externalise the map you may be able to be around the £3 to £3.5k mark. But you'd be lucky to find secondhand supercharger parts....

I'd recommend getting solid engine mounts with any boosted set up. I'd also recommend having the suspension in good condition. Basically, if you boost the car and put more power through it, it will quickly expose weaker / older components in the suspension. Not point having power if you can't use it or put it down.

A good project to look through would be Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182. It is in essence a road car, with a charger.

I'd say look at mine, but in truth, mine is too track focused to compare now. I will definitely say, given your location, speak to @Dan@SJM as he fitted my kit and runs boosted clio's himself. Top guy.

I absolutely love my charger kit, and it has added a new dimension to a car I already thoroughly enjoyed. My advice is do it, if you are keeping the car for long enough that it makes sense financially.
A good read with many many valid points I'll take into consideration, really appreciate the reply Cub!
To be honest, I saw this car being a long haul, boosted or not. My initial plan was to daily it, then in a few years time turn it into a track car. Since then, I've leaned more towards making it the best possible weekend car, with some sort of track 'aspect' to it (ei; handling/breaking/power). I've been a passenger in your car before it was charged, with no breath @JaredHasNoBrain at the Llandow track day last year! :) I plan on enjoying the car for what it is for the next year, maybe switching from the eibach setup to the Billie setup a lot of you guys run. My budget again will only grow with time, presuming my outgoings stay as they are currently, so I'm happy to say I'm fairly sure I'll go through with this build. As said above, it will more than likely be in the safe hands of Andy@ClioTurbo and using the Stage 1 package to around 230bhp.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'd happily drive a low/mid boost turbo converted 182 with little for than a zorst, filter, upgraded pads..

I've been considering buying a charged Clio and downgrading all the bolts ons because it's not essential.

I fully agree with this for road use. The handling and brakes of the clio can take a low boost power setup without significant upgrades needed IMO.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Now I remember. Don't blame me for causing an unhealthy desire to modify what is in essence a french tin 😂
It was the first time I've been 'fast' in a Clio, can safely say I've never experienced that myself personally with the handling-performance! Can still remember it took me about 3 days to figure out how the harness worked...

I wouldn't run a Helix for 250bhp on a supercharger. I'm running 250 and have absolutely no need for one, so don't have one. I recognise a turbo is slightly different power delivery, so I'd trust the turbo guys recommendations on needing helix on their side.

A diff on these, especially for track use, is one of the best mod's I have done. Even with standard power a diff on track makes a great addition.

He would need to have a helix with a turbo mate, as the torque delivery is so hard compared to yours which gradually builds.

182 FF
I'm thinking of going down the turbo route myself in the future. my car is sat on 116k and runs sweet as a nut, no idea what the mileage would be before i actually turbo'd it but what're everyones opinions on a healthy mileage turbo engine? is it worth doing the work on one 120k or will it just go bang? obviously sourcing a lower mileage one wouldn't be hard but thats just another cost to an already costly setup

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If it were me - i'd be looking to save the cash to put towards getting my own place, not blowing 5k+ on a Clio.

Buying/renting your own home is only ever going to get more expensive, the earlier you get on the ladder the better.

It could be down to my experience of other cars etc but am I the only one reading this thinking the last area I would mod a clio is in the power stakes. I appreciate this is to be a road car but even in standard form I don't rate the Clio has highly as some do. I've driven kia's that handle as well!

That would be my priority. But then if I had thr cash for a turbo saved up I can quite understand why you would go for that first :D

Skoda Fabia VRS
If it were me - i'd be looking to save the cash to put towards getting my own place, not blowing 5k+ on a Clio.

Buying/renting your own home is only ever going to get more expensive, the earlier you get on the ladder the better.
I'm 21 and my girlfriend is in education for another 3 years (Uni), so moving out isn't happening for a long while yet.

It could be down to my experience of other cars etc but am I the only one reading this thinking the last area I would mod a clio is in the power stakes. I appreciate this is to be a road car but even in standard form I don't rate the Clio has highly as some do. I've driven kia's that handle as well!

That would be my priority. But then if I had thr cash for a turbo saved up I can quite understand why you would go for that first :smiley:
I have enough for the Stage one package now, but I'm not doing it as of now so I can save up for other components as well ie;brakes, suspension, tyres etc :)

I have to admit 230bhp would be awesome in a clio but by the time I could afford everything I would need to support that It would be better for me to just buy a megane 250 cup. Hopefully my next car.

Skoda Fabia VRS
I have to admit 230bhp would be awesome in a clio but by the time I could afford everything I would need to support that It would be better for me to just buy a megane 250 cup. Hopefully my next car.
You don't need an upgraded brake setup or suspension really, tyres are a yes due to the power you're chucking down. I'm mainly looking into this as something to enjoy, the whole fun factor. The way I look at it, it's like getting a different car in some aspect, but instead you're just upgrading what you have bringing back the fun factor to things. I imagine a boosted 1*2 would never ever get tiring, especially surprising others that give you a dabble.