ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 106 S1 Rallye.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Well after taking 18 months out of cars and selling my Clio I put a wanted add on 106rallye and after waiting ages I got offered not 1 but 2 in the same week.
One was totally standard and a modified one and as I plan on sprinting again next year and modifiying it I opted for the modded car.
So a brief spec is 79000 genuine miles with all the mots from new, 4 owners and even the letter from Peugeot advising who to call if it was to be used for competition ! it has a rebuilt ported head and inlet inc TB, Newman rally cam, 4-2-1 manifold and sprint exhaust ,rebuilt S1 gearbox with a quaife diff , lightened flywheel and mapped by Wayne Schoffield who is probably the only guy left reprogramming the standard ecu.
It produces a very healthy 130hp and revs to 8k very quickly.
It has been fully refreshed suspension wise the only upgrade is to B4 dampers.
It came with 14" wheels and some 13" Caterham wheels which have been machined to fit, the 13" wheels have 888 on but as I will be running oop north I am only allowed list 1a tyres which means a choice of 1 ! Yoko A539.
I will be running in Longtons championship combined with as many Harewood rounds as I can fit in.
The car has been hill climbed this year at Loton park and has won every event and has set good speed trap speeds as quick as the 2ltr cars so no pressure lol
Here are some pics of it that the previous owner took,cheers.
IMG_1161_zps3902b104.jpg

D676F8F8-309E-40DC-B3C5-ED259A87C25E_zpsce2y8dcc.jpg

470A5A80-F0EA-421B-A4A4-3C1493C39B71_zps79r6mwm2.jpg
image_zps5d18e955.jpg

Last edited:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Yes that was me , I'd just picked it up and the previous owner took me to the garage.
I seem to remember a cup ?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
It is nice, thanks !, only thing it may be too nice to start chopping it up fitting a cage and satchshift

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
you'll regret it, I had the cage ready to go in my s1 rallye and couldn't do it,
get rid of the c5 wheels and get the s2 steels on

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
you'll regret it, I had the cage ready to go in my s1 rallye and couldn't do it,
get rid of the c5 wheels and get the s2 steels on
Its not my daily so not a problem using it day to day if thats what you mean ? I didnt get it with the 15's its back on the 14's but I have 13" minilites for sprinting.
Cheers

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Get it running nice for me Russ or I'm buying an old Ford to use next year

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Well its been a while so a little up date..
Harewood Practice day.
It was a bright sunny day so perfect conditions to get to know the Rallye, we had 8 runs in total.
I set the tyres to F28 R26 for the 1st couple of runs and then dropped them another 2 psi which helped with grip esp in the 1st corner. It took me a few runs to start to get used to the (lack of lol) power on a bit earlier to make the diff work and stopped the odd brake lock up due to the joys of modern cars abs brakes.
My times went 76.48,75.71,73.61,74.21,73.35,155 lol,73.38 and 73.91.
So overall I am happy with the car and my immediate plans are to run 13" wheels to try and get it to pick up a little quicker out of a couple of the bends.
Heres a quick video of my 155 run.....

Fitted the 13" wheels today along with A539 Yoko's , looks like its on stilts!
I got the tyres from tyreleader who were the cheapest but no mention of it taking 8 working days for them to arrive and the local tyre fitting place charged me £60 to fit them despite quoting £12 per wheel ggrrrr...

Had a quick blast around the block and my bum dyno seems to think it picks up the revs a lot lot quicker , dont know if thats right or just because Ive not driven it since the practice day.

Hopefully it is quicker but only the time keeper can tell me for definite, cant wait for the 12th april for the 1st round at Harewood.

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
IMG_20150401_165126.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
yep, with those tyres you should get a bit more use out of 3rd gear,
what did that nova on practice day have under the bonnet?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Harewood 1st round
Well after the weather leading up to last sunday was great it turned pretty cold and very wet much like the Tricolour racers had.
The drive up there was crap as the 13" wheels were making the engine rev pretty high and I wasnt sure of the difference they made to the speedo readout so had to be careful through the miles of 50 mph road works.
Anyway arrived in time and passed through scruteneering ok.
Practice started at 9am and I did a 75 sec run which at the time thought I'd gone the wrong way on 13" instead of 14" wheels as I was running out of revs much earlier needing to change up then straight back down again on a couple of bends, any way onto my 1st timed run and I managed a 73.54 which I was much more pleased with as I adjusted to the new rev limits.
I also was aware of the weather as it was starting to spit with rain so a good clean run was pretty much essential as it got very cold and windy and sure enough the rain came and everyone went slower. I also had a chat with @bashracing who was out in his clio.
I think it will go another second or quicker but hopefully it will be dry all day next time out.
Anyway the 73.54 was good enough for 2nd in class to a very quick Mini Cooper S.
Heres a few pics
image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

Yay !!
image10.jpg