ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

annoying squeek/ rattle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the car is driven from cold over the slightest bump, dip in the road............... Its definatly coming from the front right hand side, the best way to describe the noise is it sounds like there is a squeek rattling/ rumbling around!!:confused: Maybe gets worse during cornering not really sure coz its always there! I thought might be a bearing but ive had them done also thought it could be the exhaust moving but ive had that changed. Now im thinking it could be a shock, even though i dont no what happens when they fail??? How do you no if your shocks need changing?

It sounds like something needs sorting its not just your avarage clio noise, my mates dont do it........

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Common problem - simple solution.

Its the top engine mount by the cambelt cover.

Replace the mount and it will go. (total solution)

You could also try this, as it often stops it knocking.

Remove the black plastic cover over the mounting, 1 T30 torx screw. You should see 2 slots in the alloy. Using a hacksaw blade, feed some thick grease onto the rubber block below. Refit cover, road test, noise gone!

Hope that helps.

Bob RTE

Hey BobRTE is that the same on the 1.4 rt? cos I got similar goings on. Strange noises comming from the front end somewhere and I (and many others) just cant sorce them.

Paul

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Yep, it affects all Renault vehicles with the pendulum engine mounting. If greasing doesnt work, a new mounting will.

Laters

Bob RTE

I had it in the garage over the weekend had all engine mounts gearbox etc there all fine the noise seems to quiten down once its got warm..... still there a little bit but not as bad.....

rob.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

I have the same prob - took it to the garage i usually go to and he said the following was up with it:

Anti roll bar drop link snapped

worn ball joint

engine steady stabiliser worn and knocking

The noise on mine is a banging/squeaking/clanging noise from the o/s and only when i turn right.....sommert to do with the suspension me thinks - getting it sorted on 20th dec...let u know...

As for the shocks, just remove the wheels and look for fluid leakage or maybe a snapped spring..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

a good way to test shocks,

go the the corner of the car that you think has a faulty shock, depress that corner with all your weight then release quickly, if the car bounces up and down a bit before settling down then shock is knackerd, if it comes up at okay speed and settles quickly then its okay.

Not exactly scientific but is a good 1st test to try.

The garage told me the shocks are fine all engine mounts are fine, would i need to replace the whole mount or could i just get it taken off and refitted? is it a difficult job? what could i expect to pay for this job? would you say a toyota mechanic would have the knowledge to do this?

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

The knocking noise is mainly heard when cold. As it warms ups, so does the rubber pad inside the mounting. Try the grease solution I have posted, first.

Bob RTE

Trophy

Bob,

Ive got one for you!

When my engine is revved over 5,000 i get a whistling sort of noise coming from the bulkhead just under the dash on the pass side?

Any help appreciated.

Mat.

You sure its 5k revs or your speed? Cos at about 50 i have just started getting a whistling sound comming from somewhere on the drivers side. If you switch the music on you cant hear it. But with it off it just sounds like wind. So there is a little hole somewhere thats just opend up that wasnt there the other week. But I dont really care. When my hair starts getting blown in the wind then I will sort it out.

Paul

Ive got a wind noise at certain speed my windscreen seal was slightly loose i just stuck it back down and its ok now......

Bob rte, ive got the haynes in front of me, page 2D.19, picture 18.8 right- hand engine mounting;is that the rubber mounting you mean ? there is also that vertical movement limiter, where exactly does the greese need to go?

Rob.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

The grease should be applied the the rubber block, both sides, of the top engine mount. No need to remove the mount as you can get to the rubber through the slots in the alloy part of the mount. The mount that bolts to the cylinder head and joined at the drivers side top suspension mount is the one you want.

I havent got a haynes manual, so I cant check if you are looking at the right component. Just follow my guide and you should find it easily.

As for the question regarding a whistling at 5000rpm, I have no idea. Could be wind noise but nothing springs to mind but we recently had a 172 with a horrid vibration noise at 4000 rpm +/- 50 rpm (buzzing) which turned out to be the exhaust heat shields under the car. Took bloody ages to find it. Had a lot of fun trying though! :D

Hope that helps

Bob

Trophy

Definatly revs related not speed, you can hold it then if you change up it disappears until you get to 5,000 again.

Thanx anyway Bob.

Mat.