ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Annoying drone / Humming Noise from the front 172

Clio 200 full fat
guys i need some help over the last 2 weeks or so my car has been making this drone / humming noise so i jacked the car up and checked the bearings there was no play in them i spun the two fronts wheels and all i could here was the diff from the gearbox i did however notice my front shock was leaking so this was sorted by my local garage i thought this might cause the noise but its still there the only is that my tyres are very low on the inner edges and a while ago the tracking was badly out treads on both sides atm are 4-4-3 (with inners being 3 and slightly balding ) could they be stepping i have within the last 3k changed the o/s/f front hub bearing aswell on the bends no matter if its left or right its still there

any suggestions would be greatful thanks guys

Clio 200 full fat
just had new genuine disc which have bearing in and new tyres on the back it feels / sounds from the front :(

Clio 200 full fat
Did they refit the washer though to the rear discs when changing? If not bye bye bearing.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...cer-that-go-behind-rear-discs-on-Clio-172-182

i belive so they was done at 100k cars now done 106 and its only the last two weeks or so its done it was at mark fish a few weeks ago he said everything was good and said my shock was weeping i had a look and got it ordered then the noise started about a week after that took it to the garage thursday for them to do it they said there was no play if i let my car roll on the hill near me engine off i can feel a slight rumble which is why i think its the worn tyres causing it that and the fact the shock had gone

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
They shouldn't be noisy yet then. It could be the drive shaft centre bearing.

Does the noise change with speed or rpm at all?

Clio 200 full fat
it turns out you guys were right i booked the car in to change the bearing as i did have it done 3k ago and the noise got worse good job i did apprently there was no play but on closer inspection its proper f***ed Thanks for your help Guys :)

RS172 PH1
was it the front or rear bearings in the end ? I have a similiar symptom myself that's just started and did have my rear disc's replaced about 6 months ago too.

Clio 200 full fat
Yeah interested to know what bearing it was that needed to be replaced @Terrydb
i had front driverside replaced and it turned out to be that bearing again but i dont have the car anymore now anyways but its best to buy a genuine one over patent parts :)