ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ankerman angle

Clio
Hi

Would someone be able to explain to me the Ackermann angle and how having a different offset affects this?

I remember reading that on the Clios it doesn't make much difference having greater or less offset (within reason), but then if that was the case why did the 172 Cup have different offset rims to the 182 Trophy (both Speedline Turini)?

Thanks

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Google Ackerman angle and you will see loads of diagrams explaining what it is. And you should be able to see why adding spacers can change the angle towards the steering centre.

Unless you want to do lots of maths and messing about checking I’d leave it as it is tbh. Renault know what they’re doing after all. I don’t know the Turini offset answer sorry. Could be a looks thing or anything

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive always wondered why the trophy had higher et turinis compared to the 172cup. In for info

406 V6, Race Buggy
It's your scrub radius that's the main issue, not Ackermann, although as with everything with suspension, they're slightly inter-related. Ackerman is only really going to affect steering effort at low speeds with loads of lock on (parking, etc), it's not really something you need to touch at all unless you're building a racecar on slicks and need every last hundreth of a second, in which case you'd probably just push the arms out until they just clear the brake discs to take as muchh ackerman off as you could and call it a day.

Last edited:
  406 V6, Race Buggy
You go too far out with spacers you'll start putting a lot more load on tie rods, rod ends, etc, the steering will kickback, it'll tramline, and any braking or grip imbalances will pull the car from side to side.