ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Andys Racing Blue FF

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
I can’t quite believe I’m posting on this section once again!
I cut my teeth on the BG which I enjoyed,learned a lot, spent a lot and got a fair price considering the outlay on Collecting Cars which gave me some funds to buy Trophy #151 and get her to a condition that I’m happy with.
The down side of all this is I like tinkering and I’ve been itching for another project for some months.
Classics such as TR6,MGB etc interest me but the thought of a 50 year old car which looks shiny on the outside but is as corroded as the titanic underneath fills me with dread!
So I came to conclusion that it’s best to stick to what you know. I also have discovered that for some unknown reason all the best Clio’s seem to be up North.
Living in Bournemouth I could not believe it when the BG was a 4 1/2 hour drive away in Kings Lynn Norfolk and then the Trophy lived in Warrington which incredibly is where the BG ended up with the new owner a few weeks later!
Well it gets worse for poor AJ the southerner who finds a great car 45mins drive north of Glasgow.
I set off on foot at 6.30am yesterday morning to my local station,catch a train to Southampton airport, got on a flight to Glasgow and was collected by the owner.
Many thanks to Craig, his partner and his patrol head Dad who made me feel incredibly welcome after my long journey to potentially buy a car so far away on the strength of photos an documents.
I took this picture when I first arrived, took her out for a test drive and the deal was done.
1B33F6DF-2E69-450F-922A-D81B6A34A77D.jpeg

The deal also included some new Oem shocks, top mounts and exhaust mounts.
D1995AF3-B97D-492E-B82E-01FE2C49DDA1.jpeg

It’s now lunchtime on Saturday and I’m over 500 miles from home and I’m in an18 year old Clio! Splitting the ride home into 2 shifts seems the way forward so I booked myself into the Holiday Inn at Warrington (pattern forming here)! for a couple of beers and a well earned kip.
269A3218-4E03-4F6B-9B9E-2DC916A23D09.jpeg

Got back to Bournemouth lunchtime today gave her a quick wash.
2F13C5F9-6CD8-4F73-8640-7FA9AED5B01B.jpeg

She is in fantastic condition but I have plans to future proof the underside, the suspension components, enjoy her as a all year evening/weekend car and save the Trophy for just the Summer months.
“Shove over #151 i live here as well”!
0958A33E-4292-4C50-AFC8-4CF8499448A3.jpeg

Here we go again!
More updates soon and thanks for reading. Andy

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Love it. I've been called crazy for owning 3 Clio Sports so it's nice to see there are other lunatics in the asylum 🤪

And you're right, better to stick with what you know. Looking forward to the updates.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
the look so good in racing blue. great buy and garage collection. look forward to updates.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Love it. I've been called crazy for owning 3 Clio Sports so it's nice to see there are other lunatics in the asylum 🤪

And you're right, better to stick with what you know. Looking forward to the updates.

Thanks Jon.
The problem I have is I really want to use this car as a daily and enjoy it without taking the resto too far so she doesn’t become a garage queen like the T so the updates will be modest and purely mechanical.
The work you have and are doing on your RB is totally awesome.
The problem in my head is I think the colour of this car is incredible and looks so much better than even the T so will be a keeper as well.

So as MarcB said can I join the list behind him and get you to do the job properly when you retire! Lol

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Jon.
The problem I have is I really want to use this car as a daily and enjoy it without taking the resto too far so she doesn’t become a garage queen like the T so the updates will be modest and purely mechanical.
The work you have and are doing on your RB is totally awesome.
The problem in my head is I think the colour of this car is incredible and looks so much better than even the T so will be a keeper as well.

So as MarcB said can I join the list behind him and get you to do the job properly when you retire! Lol
Yes I understand your dilemma. Trust me I’m trying hard to throttle back on making the RB a garage queen, but my OCD kicks in from time to time. Like you I learned a lot from my first Clio Sport which is now my all season car - and I’ve discovered you can make them pretty, robust and useable at the same time. I want to use the RB, but maybe in the summer months.

Be good to see what you decide to do. Lovely collection.

With regards to future work I definitely see myself doing some projects, not from a commercial point of view, but just to keep these lovely cars away from the scrapyard.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
I managed to find some time today while the wife was at work and as I said before I’m not going to go mad with this car as I want to use her all year and not make another garage queen.
The interior is really good especially the sticky dash which is almost perfect.
The only thing that let the side down was the steering wheel which was like a crocodiles back!
A good detail, a set of new RS mats, 4 new Audison speakers, a Snappy wheel and I’m happy enough.
28F82177-86B0-4CD3-984F-81F44A2E2DEB.jpeg
0AEF51C5-7437-4C68-A916-3855AA4F3E11.jpeg

Dropped out the oil, filter, changed the expansion bottle, wiper blades and gave the bay a clean.
Not sure if I’m keeping the induction kit yet as might go back to stock but the noise is rather addictive!
D6097241-683F-4236-A49D-7C909D4B7D2B.jpeg
1C7F3D48-1818-4089-B03C-7E1F54FE3AC2.jpeg

The previous owner had the front bumper painted so i fitted the missing black inserts. Also I added the RWB detail and a tow eye.
C4CE595A-D57B-4E1B-B95E-9B06BFD57F1D.jpeg

I liked the aftermarket cill decal I had on my 182 so put this one on.
4276EE11-13E0-4858-81A0-16BD8434C6E3.jpeg

Jobs in the pending tray are front dampers, top mounts, rear discs/pads, painting the calipers and replacing the exhaust brackets.
Thanks for reading. Andy

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Rained off today and my new springs turned up today from Autodoc.
Assembled the new front shocks with all the other Oem parts including the arb bushes, brake lines etc.View attachment 1582590View attachment 1582591
Lots of wrestling under the front end to come.
I was suprised how nice and compliant the ride is with those Eibach's when fitted with new dampers. I've had Cooksport, Grams, Apex (worst springs ever made) and just couldn't get away with them.

Those little sensor brackets on the dampers look nice. Are those from @CFAB ?

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
I was suprised how nice and compliant the ride is with those Eibach's when fitted with new dampers. I've had Cooksport, Grams, Apex (worst springs ever made) and just couldn't get away with them.

Those little sensor brackets on the dampers look nice. Are those from @CFAB ?
Yes Jon looking forward to a less crashy ride when they are on and also I’m getting some twangy noises when turning at low speeds so I’m suspecting the existing springs and top mounts are knackered!
The brackets are from another trader on eBay. Bought a couple of sets last year.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Sneaky afternoon off so decided to bite the bullet and do the usual wheel arch liner and side skirt removal.
They have never been removed for 18 years so I drilled out the rivets, pulled the fir tree stoppers and yanked the whole lot out.
Bearing in mind this car had spent its entire life in wet and salty Scotland I was relieved to find lots of mud and not much rust!
A quick coat of Hydrate 80 on the jacking points and a few areas of the inner arch, primer, top coat over the weekend and that’s one side done.
Thinking this project is going to take me a while. With the BG and the Trophy i had the use of another car so there wasn’t any pressure to get jobs done. With RB I can only tackle bits in sections and get it back together as I need to use the car during the week.
Still loving the colour more than ever!! Andy
C8DCC4E9-3EE0-4FC3-91D6-016D51437868.jpeg
15AD0009-1AA9-457F-9B99-3D8305F3AC00.jpeg

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Sneaked into the man cave over the weekend.
Primer, top coat to sills, inner arch. Refitted the side skirts with stainless button top bolts along with a new Oem arch liner.
I Know it’s not factory looking but I’m pleased with how well protected the arch looks with a decent coat of J45 paint put on with a brush! This will not be a show car but one I want enjoy and last me out!
We’ll that’s a corner done!
I’m going to repeat this for the near side and then sort out the calipers, new shocks, top mounts, roll bar bushes and brake lines.
Luckily the previous owner had just replaced the steering tie rods and lower ball joints.
Once I’ve done this I will start on the rear of the car.
Thanks for reading. Andy.
6145FC8E-E705-471F-92F6-E37F258D4FED.jpeg
D9C959AE-0049-4F1C-B223-E355464ADFFA.jpeg

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
At last I find time back in what my Mrs calls the Clio room!
3083CBD5-249C-4A81-A759-32C0490E27E3.jpeg

Removed the nearside front arch liner and cill which for obvious reasons would uncover the worst corrosion.
Nothing here to worry about apart from about 2 kilos of dry dirt and some surface rust which I removed and then treated with Hydrate 80.
Undercoat and paint as per offside to follow.

57526D37-53A0-4CB8-BD16-BE6B6E2D1916.jpeg
9F557823-89D1-42E9-86C3-B4973B11060B.jpeg
BEF25E32-1A86-42F4-A5D2-7E2D517F71B4.jpeg

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Primer and top coat brush applied, liners, side skirts re-fitted.
As I’ve said this project is purely corrosion preventative rather than a full restoration so I can enjoy the car regularly without too much expense.
The next mission is to remove the rear bumper and tackle what lurks at the rear. Once thats done then I can fit the new shocks,springs,bushes,etc that are on the bench. Cailiper re paint and lines will be done also.

I have a spare beam which I will get striped re bushed and painted at some point but that will be next winters project.
Thanks for looking. Andy.
8528DC3D-F868-4D95-849F-8668D972B240.jpeg
2A470A63-DFE6-427D-909B-5A71A07F3C68.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Primer and top coat brush applied, liners, side skirts re-fitted.
As I’ve said this project is purely corrosion preventative rather than a full restoration so I can enjoy the car regularly without too much expense.
The next mission is to remove the rear bumper and tackle what lurks at the rear. Once thats done then I can fit the new shocks,springs,bushes,etc that are on the bench. Cailiper re paint and lines will be done also.

I have a spare beam which I will get striped re bushed and painted at some point but that will be next winters project.
Thanks for looking. Andy.View attachment 1589059View attachment 1589060
Your side skirts look in really good nick. I’m still on the lookout for drivers side. Every one I’ve been offered looks like the dogs had it.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Right.
Bumper off, along with the aftermarket dampers and corroded springs.
Spent most of yesterday morning sanding/wire brushing on my back removing all the mud, crud and rust which thankfully was of the surface type. Upper spring mounts are very sound along with rear beam brackets.
Coated everything with Hydrate 80 to stabilise.
B2665DB9-1261-45A3-8166-46B3D2F44429.jpeg

C1F3CB10-1DD1-4589-B668-64F3301CE210.jpeg

Did the dreaded peak through the rear speaker hole with a camera to see what the tin worm had done to the rear arches and she don’t look too bad! Got out the jumbo can of Dynax S80 with the extension tube and gave her a full blast. Should do the trick for a few years!
D4B57938-7891-4E2C-B8CD-10FCDEB3EA40.jpeg
EC3569D1-FFD3-4CD4-83FA-35793C95A27B.jpeg

Rear panel primed and hand painted with RB top coat which I know is not the Concourse look but it’s bloody thick and will protect the car for years to come.
2D7DE409-7C94-479F-ADBD-88B3151A67FA.jpeg

Primer and underseal to the axle and underbelly so I can fit the new shocks and springs.
Thanks for looking. Andy

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Right.
Bumper off, along with the aftermarket dampers and corroded springs.
Spent most of yesterday morning sanding/wire brushing on my back removing all the mud, crud and rust which thankfully was of the surface type. Upper spring mounts are very sound along with rear beam brackets.
Coated everything with Hydrate 80 to stabilise.
View attachment 1590955
View attachment 1590957
Did the dreaded peak through the rear speaker hole with a camera to see what the tin worm had done to the rear arches and she don’t look too bad! Got out the jumbo can of Dynax S80 with the extension tube and gave her a full blast. Should do the trick for a few years!
View attachment 1590962View attachment 1590963
Rear panel primed and hand painted with RB top coat which I know is not the Concourse look but it’s bloody thick and will protect the car for years to come.
View attachment 1590965
Primer and underseal to the axle and underbelly so I can fit the new shocks and springs.
Thanks for looking. Andy
You won’t see that rear panel anyway. Glad I did mine when I did and got it out of the way. Horrible job. Yours doesn’t look too bad at all.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
You won’t see that rear panel anyway. Glad I did mine when I did and got it out of the way. Horrible job. Yours doesn’t look too bad at all.
Thanks for that Jon.
Yes horrible job but worth the effort. If this sort of preventative work isn’t done on these cars not many will be left in 5 years time.
The Trophy and my previous BG have been garaged all their lives so are almost rust free.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that Jon.
Yes horrible job but worth the effort. If this sort of preventative work isn’t done on these cars not many will be left in 5 years time.
The Trophy and my previous BG have been garaged all their lives so are almost rust free.
Aye. A lad who I know had a BG and did a Trackday at Croft. Backend collapsed as the springs went through the chassis legs due to rot.

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
Back end now done and reassembled.
I wanted maximum protection with the underseal and wasn’t bothered about the look so I hand painted on Hammerite under body seal.
This stuff goes on as thick as you like and makes you as high as a kite!
Next chapter is fitting the new front suspension and also I’ve cheated on the budget and bought 2 new front calipers as I can’t be arsed to strip and refurb them. Maybe it’s the fumes! Lol. Thanks for looking. Andy.
1CD2376F-64AF-4E2E-8C4E-7EC96EEC1AE7.jpeg

ajracer

ClioSport Club Member
For the benefit of the build thread the near side is now done.
EDB4843F-F34E-407D-8188-20D855F0680B.jpeg

Now the brakes look fresh I’m going to fit my spare set of Turinis to see if I like them over the cup wheels.
My next job Is to change the gearbox oil (Millers CRX) when it arrives.
Time to enjoy the car for a while on her new suspension and stoppers!
Thanks for reading. Andy.