ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Android Best Apps Thread

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Hopefully there isn't one already otherwise major fail (did a search) but i am going to recieve my hero tomorrow and i'm wondering if any of you droid gurus have a top apps list at the moment?

heard the freeware handcent sms app is pretty good and tunewiki.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
On my Hero:

Battery Widget: widget for the home screen with battery %

Apps Organizer:
you can create program groups and put shortcuts to the group on the home screens. Very useful with icons for groups like games, multimedia, tools etc.

Beebplayer: iplayer/ live TV & good bbc radio player.

Ebuddy: Pulls online contacts from msn, yahoo, aim, googletalk, myspace, icq & facebook chat into one program. Very handy and will run in the background. Alerts you to messages like it would a text.

Facebook: App needs some more work to it and personally i still prefer the mobile site.

Layar: Search and shows what’s around by layering information on top of the camera view. Quite useful but doesn’t always seem to have all the information it could have one day.

Google Listen: Podcast search/ download/ listen. I really like it but haven't tried any alternatives yet.

NetCounter: Measures data transfer for wifi and 3g. Not sure how accurate it is but its a must have to get an idea of what your using. It will also alert you when you go over certain amounts.

SmsToMailbox: Forwards all your texts and call details to your email account. Great app especially as the Hero can sometimes miss some texts (on the original ROM anyway). Mine forward to a google account and get marked as read to save me getting new alerts all the time. I just check it every one in a while to make sure I’ve seen everything.

TasKiller: Kills apps you no longer need open. Alot of people upgrade to pro but I'm more than happy with the free version.

Xtremelabs Speedtest: purely just to see what speed I’m getting over 3G/WiFi

Tv-Guide: Great app for TV listings. Shows how far a film is through and you can set it to remind you before a programme starts.

Barcode Scanner: Great for checking online prices of DVD's etc when out shopping. Found it recognise the barcodes far easier than ShopSavvy.

MixZing: Media Player. Not too keen on it tbh. Yesterday it randomly started playing whilst my phone was in my pocket and the app had been killed with taskiller a few days previously. Cant be having that happen again.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
Games i've kept so far are:

Abduction.
Bebbled
Bonsai Blast
Free Bubble Defense
Jewellust Lite (one day i'll pay for it, atm when i reach the trial limit i just re-install it and start again)
Robo Defense (I have wasted hours on this game since i got it)

Would be great if people could post up reviews of apps they have ( and on what phone) and any new ones they recommend. Theres so many apps in the market it can be easy to overlook something worth having.

Mito Sportiva 135
Some good choices. I would give a thumbs up to Shazam (music recognition), Soccer Live (all world league scores, filterable) and google Sky (shows you all the star consellations, stars and some moons as you pan your phone around).

Loving the Hero so far, only problem is the battery. I have heard by changing some settings you can dramatically increase this. Anyone had any luck on this as for me it is the only thing letting the otherwise superb phone down.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
battery isn't great as far as i can see.

robo defense is brilliant!! will try some of the suggested.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
anyone have any idea how to watch a video??? can't find an app for it for th elife of me....do i have to get one off the market?

'52 clio 1.2 16V
You can go to your albums and click on them there to watch them. Or apps off the market such as 'Video Player' do it just fine.

As for Battery Saving...

Use all 3 toggle switches to cut the connections whenever they're not needed.

Turn down screen brightness as low as possible. Use the 'Battery Widget' as well and you can press the widget and then display to take you straight to the menu to change the brightness. You can turn it to almost the lowest setting and still see everything indoors, I just find you need to turn it up some again outside.

Disable the auto update on the weather app. Apparently it drains a lot of battery because it updates so often.

Reduce how often your email apps update if you’re not too bothered about getting them asap.

Turn off the location sources if you don’t need them.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
nice mate thankis, i have wifi gps and bluetooth off atm...will try some of the above

'52 clio 1.2 16V
Almost forgot, use TasKiller failry often to kill anything you don't need running. Especially those listed in yellow.

Mito Sportiva 135
Also just set all my email refreshes to happen every hour rather than every 15 minutes.

Quite fun this - if I can get 2 days use out of it I will be happy!

'52 clio 1.2 16V
It was also mentioned somewhere that some people were experiencing their phone not going to sleep, it would only lock and turn off the screen. It was happening because some apps were forcing the phone to stay awake. To check that your phone has been 'sleeping' go to settings> about phone> Status> at the bottom it should have awake time. With average use this is supposed to be about 20-40% apparently whereas if it’s hardly sleeping its likely to be 70% or above (as long as you’ve had the phone running for a good few days).

Mito Sportiva 135
I like all the switches made by Curvefish, work well and look cool. Although their battery app is pretty pointless as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know any decent currency convertor apps? Preferably which have real time conversion rates? Been looking for one!

'52 clio 1.2 16V
Couple more games to waste time on:

Blockx 3D - A 3D tetris stle game.
AirAttack - Arcade style shooter game.

Other apps:

AudioManager - Allows you to change the volumes for everything, with widgets for the home screen that displays the current columes. Have read that the widget could be a battery drain as it updates itself every minute which you cannot change.

AppManager - Allows you to backup apps to SD card and install form there aswell, can locate the app on the market and tells you the size of the app etc.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
How good is Robo Attack !

thanks for the recommendation.. just spent the last 2 hours playing it (at work) :D !

Mountune Tractor
Some good choices. I would give a thumbs up to Shazam (music recognition), Soccer Live (all world league scores, filterable) and google Sky (shows you all the star consellations, stars and some moons as you pan your phone around).

Loving the Hero so far, only problem is the battery. I have heard by changing some settings you can dramatically increase this. Anyone had any luck on this as for me it is the only thing letting the otherwise superb phone down.

I've just recieved my Hero in the post and am using this guys advice re: battery life.
http://www.gamaze.com/blog/2009/08/improve-battery-life-for-the-android-based-htc-hero-smart-phone/

Nice thread guys, can't wait to get going once it's charged!

on the new update you get a "power bar" widget. its got on/off switches for wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync and screen brightness (3 settings) i think its pretty cool. also apparently you can now send files via bluetooth but ive not yet tried it out. update should be out after xmas but if your like me and cant wait send me a pm and ill try and explain how to get the custom roms

Mountune Tractor
on the new update you get a "power bar" widget. its got on/off switches for wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync and screen brightness (3 settings) i think its pretty cool. also apparently you can now send files via bluetooth but ive not yet tried it out. update should be out after xmas but if your like me and cant wait send me a pm and ill try and explain how to get the custom roms

That sounds awesome, will do the update on the weekend I think. Still using 1.5.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've downloaded the robo defense game and the barcode scanner, i'll have a play about later on lol, i've had the G2 touch (Hero) for a month now really happy with it.

Can anyone help for me to have a mp3 as a ring tone and message tone of my memory card, i have downloaded 'Tone Picker' and not sussed it out

if anyone here is into this sorta thing im now using this rom and its very good!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622468

So, to the FEATURES/Working list:

- It's fast for a 2.X Sense Rom
- All HTC Widgets & Apps (all working, but weather is buggy)
- Stock HTC Lockscreen
- Google Search by Voice working perfectly
- Camera works at 5MP
- Network Location working
- All Paid/Protected apps in market
- Optimized Rosie
- Nexus One Bootscreen
- Facebook sync working to contacts
- New HTC Browser from 2.1 - with MULTITOUCH!
- Album Working
- All photo functions working
- Stable! ( Very few FC )
- JBED/Java working as it should
- Root Permissions

182FF with cup packs
The Nexus One comes with a nice weather widget installed which picks up your location through mobile and GPS.

I can also highly reccomend beebPlayer. It's a hacked implementation of BBC iPlayer which allows you to stream over 3g no matter what network you are on.

is the nexus one still the same as the hero one?
rosie13-weather-widget.jpg

182FF with cup packs
is the nexus one still the same as the hero one?
rosie13-weather-widget.jpg

No. Nexus One is the new Google handset which runs Android 2.0, though it's made by HTC, it is different hardware to the HTC Hero (Nexus has 1Ghz processor, Hero is 528Mhz).

But you could basically look at it as the HTC Hero 2 or something like that ;)