ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amp fuses keep blowing, what’s wrong

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Ive got a kicker ZR 600, the 12V+ has got an 80 amp inline fuse, but when i turn the amp on the 3x 30amp fuses on the amp pop, bu the inline one doesnt, any ideas? bad earth, incorrectly wired woofer?

BMW 320d Sport

Well its definitely getting an overload current of between 30 and 80 amps, not enough to blow the fuse in the main feed, but enough to cane the amp and blow its 30 amp jobs. A serious short to the body would give you more than an 80 amp current and would therefore blow that fuse as well, so at least you can rule that out.

silver valver/hybrid

i dont want to insult your intelligence or anything, but have you wired the remote live and ground wire the wrong way round on the amp?

I had this happen the other day to mine. It turned out that one of the internal boards had blown. Took it back to Halfords and they sent it off to be fixed - bonza!! It was blowing the fuses all the time before and I spent ages tracking all the wires and re-doing the earth.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

all the wires are correctly attached to the amp, 12v+, earth and remote are all in their right place. and the earth should be ok as theres been 2 amps run from there previously with no trouble.

The cable is 4AWG from an autoleads 120 amp wiring kit (though the fuse is an 80 amp)

So as far as i can see, it must be something internal or i wired the woofer incorrectly (12" inch kicker solobaric, wired in series)

Has anybody else got a ZR 600 and had trouble?

Check thee no short between the 2 speaker cables and the impedence of the amp is right - (should be 4 ohm on a kicker I think)