ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I screwed? Drive shafts out!!!!!!

2003 172
Hi lads and lasses.
Only had my 172 for 2 weeks. Slowly changing bits and pieces. Just gone to change the n/s ball joint and when I undid the bolts holding it to the wishbone the hub swung down and out and I can't get it to line back up.I already had the shock removed to do the top mounts so I didn't think it would go anywhere. I'm thinking drive shaft has popped out?
What do I do now? Never gone that deep into a car before but I'm fairly competent with tools lol.
Can I get it back in and lined up as it is or do I need to strip the whole thing?
I can see a big gaitor and 3 bolts. I'm assuming I unbolt those and then the shaft is splined behind that?

HELP! I need to drive it tomorrow!!!!

dan's cast offs.
tripod joint has come out of the diff, push it back and turn it as you do and it will drop back in place.

Ph2 172
As above. Push the hub towards the car and rotate it as much as you can each way and you'll feel it drop back into place.

2003 172
I've still got the disc and caliper attached so it's heavy ha ha
What's actually behind that gaitor that I'm trying to line up?
Just so I can get an idea of what I'm trying to achieve

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Think of it as a ball (end of shaft) and socket joint (gearbox) and you have to push the ball into the socket. I'm not mechanically minded but it should be straight forward.

2003 172
Crisis averted. Shaft is popped back in and ball joint is done up. Knackered the abs sensor though. It broke the wire when it dropped

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The only way I've removed ABS sensors from Clio hubs is through destruction. Drilling, bashing with old screwdrivers and heat from a blow torch. Get ready with protective goggles. Not cheap either.

2003 172
Good point. I'll confirm the connector first.
No it can't be repaired. It's pulled out and shredded the wiring right at the connector

2003 172
Car is back together and not creaking and knocking anymore. Wishobone bushes were dry
It hasnt put the ABS light on though.
Car feels a bit more precise in the steering department with two new ball joints on it