ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I institutionalised?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I would think they're fine. Just buy a good one and make sure you get some rust protection on it. There are plenty out there to choose from, so should be possible to buy a solid one, surely?

As a daily, it would probably be my top choice to be honest. Not as exciting as the Ford or the Renault, but the nicest interior and just a 'good at everything' car.

Yeah pretty much what I’ve read ref a very good all rounder

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
If we think ita hard now in a sea of Turbos and black audis, imagine how grim it'll be when they're all hybrid or EV!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@imprezaworks I'm sensing a FWD only type of thing here? Has an FN2 been poopoo'd?

Mrs had an FN2 Type S for 5 years - was fantastic, great steering and never ever once needed anything more than servicing. The Type R we drove at the same time was also a nice place to be - albeit a bit tiresome to drive - lack of torque and quite a harsh engine/ride. Gearbox was superb, handling was great. I like them, however as a daily the Type S was the more suitable car (boot was gigantic with the seats down).

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
@imprezaworks I'm sensing a FWD only type of thing here? Has an FN2 been poopoo'd?

Mrs had an FN2 Type S for 5 years - was fantastic, great steering and never ever once needed anything more than servicing. The Type R we drove at the same time was also a nice place to be - albeit a bit tiresome to drive - lack of torque and quite a harsh engine/ride. Gearbox was superb, handling was great. I like them, however as a daily the Type S was the more suitable car (boot was gigantic with the seats down).
Absolutely massive with the seats down.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh i am swaying towards the golf. I signed up to the mk5gti forum and there maybe a couple who are looking to sell.

The honda (fn2) ive looked at lots of times, a great car but imo makes no sense swapping to one considering im after a five door car. The R26 with mods is what ive fancied on and off for ages, but again makes no sense bar it being fast etc. The GW on here looks stunning.

I had dismissed the mk5 due to boat like rust issues but reading about it just needs to be a nice example, same with most with this age of car.

Was only when i missed a mk6 at 9500 (set my bid at 8500) and happy i did, got me considering the mk5 again.

The mk6 i spotted instantly made me want to buy it on pics alone. If i spot something i 'need' to have i will and have before buy it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Tbh i am swaying towards the golf. I signed up to the mk5gti forum and there maybe a couple who are looking to sell.

The honda (fn2) ive looked at lots of times, a great car but imo makes no sense swapping to one considering im after a five door car. The R26 with mods is what ive fancied on and off for ages, but again makes no sense bar it being fast etc. The GW on here looks stunning.

I had dismissed the mk5 due to boat like rust issues but reading about it just needs to be a nice example, same with most with this age of car.

Was only when i missed a mk6 at 9500 (set my bid at 8500) and happy i did, got me considering the mk5 again.

The mk6 i spotted instantly made me want to buy it on pics alone. If i spot something i 'need' to have i will and have before buy it.

It's a good choice to be honest. The Megane will offer greater thrills, but the Golf will be 90% as fun while being 10x better at the daily stuff. The Civic is just outclassed in this company in my view. A nice car, but ragging the pants off it to get it to move is precisely the opposite of what you want in a daily driver. Add in a remap and the Type-R just makes even less sense.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
It's a good choice to be honest. The Megane will offer greater thrills, but the Golf will be 90% as fun while being 10x better at the daily stuff. The Civic is just outclassed in this company in my view. A nice car, but ragging the pants off it to get it to move is precisely the opposite of what you want in a daily driver. Add in a remap and the Type-R just makes even less sense.
This does make sense. However I love that I need to rag it to get it to shift. I'm a minority though fo sho

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Driven both, given the choice between the two only I would choose the Type R (FN2) if I wanted to do an occasional track day, and the gti for normal day to day life. People even say that the current Type R is outclassed because it 'only' doe 0-60 in 6s etc. On a fast bit of road or track I suspect that the CTR is in no way outclassed.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Until rain, or snow or bro points. The Edition 30 is the faster car out the box but the R32 always seemed a bit more special to me than a normal GTI. I think the GTI (plus remap) is the more sensible choice though.
I'd never ever get bored of the sound from an r32. It has to be one of the best sounding cars bar the exotic stuff.

RB Clio 182
Bloody hell, i hope youre not this fussy when youre buying a pair of boxer shorts mate ?

Nothings going to be perfect at 10 years old, youre a car salesman, you should understand :D

How have you become so fussy? You used to change cars every few months ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Other priorities and the need to not spend money lol.

That and the rb has been spot on.

Oh and for sure a car isn’t going to be perfect, I’m not niave. But a level of acceptance is always there :)

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Other priorities and the need to not spend money lol.

That and the rb has been spot on.

Oh and for sure a car isn’t going to be perfect, I’m not niave. But a level of acceptance is always there :)

I'm with you on this, be fussy. I drive minimum an hour each way to work every day and doing it in something boring is just slow death, doing it in something ridiculously uneconomical is silly. You need a good mix of practicality and fun to survive. A few years back I was averaging 13mpg and it just got a little crazy in the end, then eco shitbox made my trips miserable.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I've looked at 5 over a few weeks. 4 had rust spots on the rear 3/4 panel. Read something about it being a design fault, so more a question of when not if?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Would be white, but yeah I’ve looked at those. Maybe a contender for the newer 3 door category lol