ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternators 1.4 fit 1.2

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
iirc 1.4 will fit a 1.2 as iv been told, hence why iv got a 1.4 one ready to be fitted on the weekend :)

1.2 Clio
Sweeet.

Let me know if it fits.

As basically i don't want to go out and pay £100 for a 110a alt to find it needs custom bracketry, whereas for £200 i could have had 200a alt as will still need custom bracketry!

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Will do, as far from what i can see roughly the other day, it seems a straigh swap, but the 1.4 engine is slighlty bigger, so maybe the alternator is more powerfull, only time will tell when iv fitted it :)

Sweeet.

Let me know if it fits.

As basically i don't want to go out and pay £100 for a 110a alt to find it needs custom bracketry, whereas for £200 i could have had 200a alt as will still need custom bracketry!

Wouldn't a 200a alt be alot of work for a 1.2?

1.2 Clio
Nah, i know a lad who does rotary elecs for a living, he said that 250a would lose me about 10bhp. The quoted me £200 for an alt and another 200 for fitting, i said jog on! :p. Not bothered about performance loss tbh.

1.2 Clio
Back EMF's of the alternator (harder to turn basically). Along with other resistive forces. Basically for a given winding, the greater the current draw, the greater the back emf. So it's very much current draw dependant, however the additional weight of the windings to be a higher value (110 instead of 75 say) means that you will ose a very small amount of power here.

1.2 Clio
Basically back EMF is an electronic force which gets inherent in any moving electric object through a magnetic field ( motors or dynamos). So as you spin the object upto speed inside the field, a force acts to stop the object infinatly accelerating.
Like when you run fast your legs get knackered easily as you cannot remove the excess lactic acid, wheras running more slowly your body can remove it, thus making it less straining on your body.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
a 1.4 alternator will take power from him though not give him power.

Yeah i meant more powerful alt, not more BHP, agi has a mad install with massive draw, so going fast isnt his thing, he needs the juice from what i can gather?