ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator

Clio Sport 172
Sounds like my alternator is failing, at only 40,000km. It's making a loud whine and makes a burning smell, although it still seems to be charging the battery OK, 14.6 volts when running.
In a dark garage it almost looks like there is a light bulb in the windings.
My question is, how does the trick with the 70mm jubilee clamp work to stop the belt tensioner decompressing work?
Do you put it arond the coils of the tensioner spring or end to end? Anyone have as picture?

172 cup
Round the spring tensioner itself, bend the jubilee to like a long oval shape, slide it over then tighten up

Clio Sport 172
Can you actually compress the tensioner like this or just stop it from decompressing when you take the belt off?

Clio Sport 172
Chaged the alternator yesterday. The hose clamp you need would be minimum 70mm, I got a 45-70mm and it was too small, ended up with a 90-114mm which didn't close up quite enough so had to stick the end of a ring spanner between the clamp and the top of the tensioner to fill the gap. The alternator was a rebuilt Valeo from Poland, cost the equivalent of 230 quid here, would have been double at the agents. What do they cost in the UK?