ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator problem?

Started car this morning, stop and battery light were on drove it about 20 miles and when I got back in car to drive back ir wouldn't start so I jump started it and started heading back but all lights on dash started lighting up then car lost all power and cut out on dual carriageway.. had to get breakdown truck back home. garage told me it's my alternator over the phone.

does this sound like the alternator has gone?

It's weird as I only bought it yesterday drove it 450+ miles home with no problems.

Also will the alternator from a 172 cup fit in my 182? got a smashed up cup in the drive that I can take parts off.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You drove it when it was already saying STOP + Battery light?

It's usually the alternator yes, but it could be a dodgey wire on the alternator itself.

Worth checking the earth strap to the gearbox to subframe, but it's probably not that.

No a 172 cup alternator won't work, it needs to be a 110 amp alternator for a 182.

You drove it when it was already saying STOP + Battery light?

It's usually the alternator yes, but it could be a dodgey wire on the alternator itself.

Worth checking the earth strap to the gearbox to subframe, but it's probably not that.

No a 172 cup alternator won't work, it needs to be a 110 amp alternator for a 182.

Light came on halfway through journey so I just kept going as it seemed to be running fine.

Thanks..

any pics of where the earth strap is located? do I need to get under car?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Earth strap you can get to from the passenger side wheel arch when you remove the arch liner. You'll see a blue ish coloured strap.

The alternator is the same as the 172 cup one but just 110 amp. It's a Valeo one from factory.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I had this last week . Battery and Stop light were flickering while on the motorway , then became constant .This is the first time It had happened. I got home , turned off the engine and It wouldn't start again straight away . I rang my garage and said It might be the earth strap, which he agreed it could be . Got it towed to the garage , the earth strap was fine and I needed a new alternator . I'd had some strange things happening previously , always in cold weather and when the car had been standing for a long period of time . If I got in the car and set off straight away all the lights on the dash would light up , then reset all the odometer / clocks . New alternator ( recon ) and it's fine now .
As said above , you need the 110amp one .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-R...173897?hash=item5d47008109:g:MLsAAOxyUrZSpuTH

Earth strap you can get to from the passenger side wheel arch when you remove the arch liner. You'll see a blue ish coloured strap.

The alternator is the same as the 172 cup one but just 110 amp. It's a Valeo one from factory.

Thanks mate.. i will check earth straps before I go and buy a new alternator hopefully that is the problem.

check the big red wire has not come away from alternator, they rust off.
otherwise new alternator

Red wire looks fine.

I've had the battery out charging and just put it back in so I can drop it off at garage in the morning. Started up straight away with battery light still on so I drove to end of street and back, parked up, turned off engine then tried to fire it back up but wouldn't start again.