ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator issue??

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone can confirm I have an alternator which is not working as it should. I have just started using the car (172 Cup) and when the car idles the stop and battery light will be illuminated. Once the revs increase the light will go off. I have checked the condition of the battery which is 12.4 and also checked the battery voltage when the car is running which is around 13.4v. I have checked the wire which goes to the alternator which is a bit rusty but is secured well.
So before I change the alternator is there anything else I should check which could cause this to happen? Also if this turns out to be needing a new alternator where is the best place to get one and I believe Cup ones are a specific type, are new ones available or better getting an original used one?
Many thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Check the earth wires too, but it does sound like the alternator when you say that the light goes out when you rev it.

The cup alternators are 75amp as opposed to the 110amp for the 172/182 aircon models.

Stick with Valeo as other brands tend to fail fairly soon.

Try Renault Wolverhampton trade parts, usually the best price.

monaco 172
Charging voltage should be 14 - 14.4v

When my alternator packed up it would charge at 13v unless I revved the engine. At which point it would go to the correct voltage.

2 days after noticing this I got home one day and the alternator was smoking

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did this for a while then one day set on fire, so i would reccomend replacing the alternator now before it creates a real problem.