ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ALTERNATOR CHARGING PROBLEM Help Please!!!

cup 172/ Laguna dci
Ok so my other car is Laguna SportTourer 1.9dci 2002. The battery light came on thursday ( i thought Alternator) and so I drove it straight home to avoid sat on roadside!!
I got the multimeter out and the batt terminals were only showing 11.90 and decreasing gradually.... so i took out the alternator ABSOLUTE BALLACHE!!- Gotta admire the french... and took it to a company to have it tested... result A OK!!! Great so today i have refitted the alternator and put the side of the car back together lol!! and i thought well it must be the cable from the altrernator to the battery which disappears into the loom...
so i ran a new cable from the alternator + right to the battery + terminal left some jump cables on the Laguna connected to another car to give it some juice....
Started 1st time... BATTERY LIGHT is Still ON!!! and battery terminals only reading 12V and started to decrease again.... it should be 13.8-14.4V right and obviosly not losing charge!!!

Any Ideas????:S

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Did u test across the battery terminals for the voltage? Personally ...put your red lead from the multimeter onto the terminal on the alternator... and to a suitable ground for your multimeter.... see what readings you get.

cup 172/ Laguna dci
There is not charging fuse surely??? I can't find any in the books, I will test the alternator V in the morning a post results

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
i reckon then that it must be the alternator and the test was inaccurate??

yes, just had a look at the wiring diagram, and its a simple circuit aswell. But...... the feed is tagged onto the starter motor.... so might be wise to check its connection. Put ya meter on the alternator terminal as said, & ground your meter.

The charging loom goes alt - starter - battery and is not fused.

Take all connections off your battery and check the voltage, should be around 12.5, if it's dropping the battery could be goosed!

If its not draining disconnected then you could have a power drain somewhere or a earthing fault.

I thought I had this problem as the battery was only holding 12v however it turned out to be the alternator all along.

hope this helps.

cup 172/ Laguna dci
Thanks for the posts guys, I fully charged the battery stuck it in the car and drove it to the auto electricians.... and they have now concluded that its the alternator so... Back home with the car and i'll take the alternator off and replace it or set the car on fire lol!!! :D

Thanks for you help :)