ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Altenator or Battery?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Hi Everyone,

Just after a bit of help please, only just bought the car and now its parked up at home dead. Under warranty though at least.

Driving home last night car started going a bit nuts, ABS + Traction light started flashing, stop light and battery light flickering and occasionally the engine light and the gear change light would light up. The speedo would die but the rev counter was still working. It would judder harshly once or twice at low speed/revs. Managed to get it home and thought I will deal with it in the morning, come out this morning and it wont start.

Also the temperature gauge only reaches halfway when idle, when driving it drops a line or 2 below. Having looked around it seems related to temperature sensor or thermostat. Will it be best just to change both?

Thanks,

Ben

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Hi Everyone,

Just after a bit of help please, only just bought the car and now its parked up at home dead. Under warranty though at least.

Driving home last night car started going a bit nuts, ABS + Traction light started flashing, stop light and battery light flickering and occasionally the engine light and the gear change light would light up. The speedo would die but the rev counter was still working. It would judder harshly once or twice at low speed/revs. Managed to get it home and thought I will deal with it in the morning, come out this morning and it wont start.

Also the temperature gauge only reaches halfway when idle, when driving it drops a line or 2 below. Having looked around it seems related to temperature sensor or thermostat. Will it be best just to change both?

Thanks,

Ben

If its still under warranty I'd take it back, seems like alot is wrong with it.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
If its still under warranty I'd take it back, seems like alot is wrong with it.

Garage is 2 hours away, im going to ring them at 9. Car wont be going anywhere near them unless they are going to recover it which I doubt.

But where I work has a garage so they can fix it, if the garage I bought it from will foot the bill.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Managed to bump start it, its at the garage now being checked over. Hopefully just battery.

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
First Post but anyway.

I picked up my 172 last week and the same thing happened. Was ok for a bit but the same fault lights came up. I stopped it thinking it was something stupid and tried to re-start it but it wouldnt turn over and the instument panel went funny.

The RAC came out and jump started it and it started fine. However it turned out the alternator was dead and not putting out any charge.

Drove it back to the garage and it was fixed under warranty and has been fine since then.