ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ALT Upgrade for ICE..

B 8

Black Mk2 172 [ B 8 ]

Im thinking of getting my alternator in my 172 rewound to give out more current. Has anyone done this yet? Do you reckon its possible to get 200 Amps out of it? The reason why I want to do this is because Im running a US Amps 2000X and this things needs a 300 Amp fuse. Ive already changed the battery to the biggest one that will fit. Also, what is the maximum voltage I can run before I damage anything? The 2000X can accept up to 15 volts but what can the ECU handle?

Thanks in advance.

I have known people that have rewound their alternators to 160amps but it cost a ridiculous amount of cash plus it was a large alternator to start with. I doubt you would be able to get 200amps out of your standard alternator without some serious mods. You could check in an auto electrical shop to see if you can get a larger alternator with a similar mounting design to fit your car.

That amp is a serious piece of kit. If you havent already got one then you should really have a splitcharge system set up with an Optima or possibly even 2 Optimas on it. That would also stop your battery running flat so quick.

If the 2000X will accept 15volts then you should be able to give it 15 volts. The ECU shouldnt be affected as it is just the input voltage not the current draw (correct me if im wrong guys). You could get a line driver. Most of them output between 6 and 9 volts but if you go for something from Zapco then you will get 16 volts when balanced. You will need to spend a bit extra on some other Zapco kit to get the full 16 volts though which again isnt exactly cheap.

Russ

B 8

Black Mk2 172 [ B 8 ]

160 Amps should be okay, but will I notice a difference from the stock 110 Amp Alt?

I wont be able to add a second battery in the back because of the enclosure. Ill be getting 2 Digital Designs 9512e Dual 1-ohm this Monday. The box will take up all the boot space and the tyre well.

Regarding the 15 volts, I meant 15 volts DC to the power terminals of the 2000X not the RCA input voltage. Can I run the alternator to produce 15 volts DC instead of 14.4 volts DC without damaging any of the electronics of the car?

Thanks again.

Oh right..a big system then. Where are you getting the subs from and what db score are you aiming for?

I would think 15 volts should be fine but if you are worried then you could always upgrade the alternator cables. The rest of the electrical system shouldnt be affected.

B 8

Black Mk2 172 [ B 8 ]

Im getting the woofers here in Sydney, Australia. Weve finally got a Digital Designs importer. I was gonna get two Resonant Engineering XXX 12" from the UK but I decided on the DDs instead. Id love to get 150 dBs on the new termlab meter but most likely high 140s.

Ill be changing the 2000X to a DE-3000 in 6 weeks which is 3000 watts RMS at 1-ohm and 92% efficient. My plan is to burp the 2000X at 1-ohm mono for comps and 4-ohm for daily driving. With the DE-3000, I hope it will burp at 1/4-ohm mono.

As for the ALT should I go to an auto electrician and get them to rewound it to its maximum? Would they know how to increase the voltage in a 172? With the higher voltage, would this void the warranty?

Cheers Brian.

We use RE HC12s in our car but its not an SPL system hence we are only hitting around 148db in sealed boxes. DDs should get the job done in the right size box...hopefully it all goes well for you.

You can get the shop to rewind it to its maximum but beware it will cost a fair bit. I would think they will be able to upgrade the alternator cabling when fitting the alternator back in easily enough.

Unless your local Renault dealer is very vigilant they probably wont even notice that the cables and alternator have been upgraded if things go wrong.

Russ