ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alpine Headunit + Stalks 182 Issue?? (With Pics)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hello,

Well ive finally made the jump from my 1.2 to a 182 and I'm loving it! I have an Alpine CDE-9880R headunit. In my Clio 1.2 I used to have it wired up into the stalk controls with my ipod in the glovebox. It work perfectly.

Anyway, before I sold it I took the alphine out will all of the wiring needed to re-install into my 182. So today ive come round to getting it fitted, it all works fine but the stalks don't work? It all looks exactly the same! The only thing I can see that may be different is the pin arrangement on a yellow (female) connector to its male part? If anyone has any idea on how I can get my stalks working with the 182 that would be great.

Pics to help:

Wires from 1.2 and the adapter unit end:
old.jpg

182:

Female yellow:
clio4.jpg

Male part:
clio3-1.jpg

And how it 'should' be connected, this is how it looked on my 1.2 and it work fine (photo from 182):
clio2-1.jpg

I know the stalks work and I also know that the headunit and adapters all work so I'm scratching my head over what is different? :S

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Other pictures don't work for me.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
From memory (however i used the official alpine stalk and display adapter) the yellow plug plugged directly into the stalk adapter itself and not the main HU loom

Also 182's after a certain year use a different setup so be wary of that.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hmmm okay, its just on my old the Clio, the yellow plug plugged into the stalk adapter loom which connects the headunit, which is what Ive tried, I'm a little unsure on what you mean?

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
i tried this when i moved from a 1.2 to a 182 and the stalk adapter that worked in my 1.2 wasn't compatible, where it plugs into the back of the screen was different, and supposedly I had to buy a £90 adapter (if this is true or not, i have no idea) I just run without them, would like them to work but not worth £90

If you had a 1.2 prior to 04/05 and the 182 is 05 then it wont be compatible. You have an update list unit fitted to your 182 as standard yes? Stalks arent £90 but they arent as cheap as the tuner list as its a can bus system. They come in at £40.

Listerine & Poledo
MT Knows.

At least you just want the stalks working!.

@MT: Aside from "dodgy connections", what may casue my stalks to only work occasionally, when the display always works? It was all the same cable so it doesn't make sense.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Well my 1.2 was a 51 plate, the 182 is a 05, I spoke to a guy at Halfrauds :eek: shhhh and he said I need a new adapter (about £30) and it has to be run in via the back on the clocks?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I used a KCE-940b and KWE-942 on my 182 (2004). However that may not work.

Cost £60 for both (you need them both, and the display works). I doubt they are cheaper or more expensive now.

What brand of stereo is it? Some units there are different patch leads for different models and some just wont respond properly.
The stalk itself may have a loose connection, a specific button, or all of them, if its a specific button itll need to be either taken apart or changed over, if its the whole unit you may have the connector to the stalk not contacting properly. Did I supply it?

Well my 1.2 was a 51 plate, the 182 is a 05, I spoke to a guy at Halfrauds :eek: shhhh and he said I need a new adapter (about £30) and it has to be run in via the back on the clocks?

Talk to someone who knows what they are talking about ;)

no dash removal stalks > dash removal versions everytime!

@ Tom tuner list only bud so wont be compatible with his

Listerine & Poledo
What brand of stereo is it? Some units there are different patch leads for different models and some just wont respond properly.
The stalk itself may have a loose connection, a specific button, or all of them, if its a specific button itll need to be either taken apart or changed over, if its the whole unit you may have the connector to the stalk not contacting properly. Did I supply it?

Hi.

Proper alpine leads my man, supplied and fitted by an Alpine authorised (Cambridge Car Audio).

Either none of the buttons work or they all do, so could well be a stalk-connection problem. I might try pulling the leads apart one day to be sure there's nothing juuuust hanging in there

Listerine & Poledo
Same head unit I use.

But used the display & stalk lead, seems a simple enough fit, but then it was ordered for the car it went into.

Reckon it could be a tuner/update list incompatability issue. MT will know

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Same head unit I use.

But used the display & stalk lead, seems a simple enough fit, but then it was ordered for the car it went into.

Reckon it could be a tuner/update list incompatability issue. MT will know

I don't understand what you mean :eek:

Listerine & Poledo
If the new car had a different headunit to your old one (one had "tuner list", the other an "update list")

Then the leads you already have wont work.