ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloys Question

Clio MK3
Hi Guys,

I currently own a MK3 clio 1.4 Dynamique which has the 15" Mahonia alloy wheels which I really dislike and feel lets the cars looks down. This is my first car so I have to be careful with modifications and insurance at 17, and will not be modifying it in the first year. My question is if I change to a set of 16" Canasta alloy wheels which are Renault alloys, would I have to delclare it as a modification on my policy or can I get away with saying they came with the car as they are not aftermarket parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Connor.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Id think they would know what size wheels are standard, In my opinion putting better wheels and tyres on should lower your premium ;)
Some good Insurance companies on here for when you need to renew.. You'll need full membership though but its £12 well spent and allows access to the traders section and marketplace.. The free gifts are cool also..

Clio MK3
Yeah I was thinking changing them as they would not know what came with it from the factory? I am going to join the forum I think, as the £12 will help me place a wanted wheel ad if I go ahead and decide to change them :) Also this sounds like a silly question but would wind deflectors void my insurance policy if I was to have an accident and not declare? Or just rely on myself to rip them off before the car gets inspected.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Even if you changed the style and kept the size the same you should inform them.
Even if they are optional items from the dealer, they still need to be declared.

Insurers will do anything they can to not pay out. Dont give them any excuse.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Better safe than sorry, Id not like to advise you anything that could void your claim. Id be really surprised if wind deflectors count as a mod???

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Wind deflectors are a modification - i.e. they are not a standard factory-fit item therefore they must be declared.

As for ripping them off, I'd like to see you do that if you're unconscious!

Renault Clio 172 cup
A friends son who is a similar age to you had a little 106 peugeot, completely standard car, was about the only thing he could get insured in. The insurance company came around to fit his little black box ( another stipulation before they'd insure him ). When they noticed he had sprayed his alloys black ( standard alloys, just sprayed ), they insisted that he put them back to original colour or they wouldn't insure him.
Nowadays technically anything that is on a car that wasn't when it exited the factory is a modification and they WILL use it as an excuse to not insure/not payout.
My own insurance doubled when I informed them I had a cage which surely is a safety feature.