ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All V6 owners please read

as some of you know, ive had gearbox problems since i bought this car.

it recently had a new gearbox following the loss of 2nd gear.

now heres my concerns that im hoping you guys can help with.

the first gearbox was always noisy. from outside the car i could hear the gears changing (very notchy), and when pulling away slowly it would make a light griniding sort of sound.

when the gearbox went i thought it may have all been related, but this new box makes exactly the same noises - making me think they all do it and its normal.

can V6 owners (particularly Mk1 models) tell me if they ever hear said noises (passenger window open) as im getting really paranoid now and selling it is looking more and more likely.

now i work on fiats for a living, and abit of diff noise in ok, but this is obvious from outside the car - its ONLY when pulling away slowly though.

cheers

hi bungle - that pic LOL!

if it is common then its ok and id imagine not a problem, but i need to check. now its NOT losing gear oil for the first time (touching wood) i want to keep it.

come on V6 owners, where are you all? :confused:

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Was gonna say when ever my brother moves away i watch him and u can clearly hear the noise u r talking about mate.... His is a Mk1 V6 also

ok, thought so, needed to check though.

ok well im going to change the gear oil tomo for a fully synthetic reline gear oil in an attempt to quieten it down abit. the reno stuff is more like brake fluid, thin as anything!

even the reno technician said its crap and like water!

Ive had a Mk1 and a Mk2. This IMHO is unique to the Mk1, my Mk2 never made these noises, but the gearbox had been altered on the Mk2 so maybe thats why. But yes the Mk1 vee i owned was as described in your post above.

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

I get the usual sort of mechanical noise when changing gear, but once the cars moving theres no noise from the gearbox at all.

Sorry mate, not much help:oops:

Quote: Originally posted by Simo on 14 September 2004

I get the usual sort of mechanical noise when changing gear, but once the cars moving theres no noise from the gearbox at all.

Sorry mate, not much help:oops:

Same with mine ^^^ ... on the day I brought the car.. I was already expecting to hear mechanical noise of the gears when engaging them, as Im sure it has been documented as normal for the mk1.. its all part of owning one of these.

No worries.. no need to sell it!

i have a slight grindy noise coming from G/Box which i placed in earlier post.. i put it down to the zorst vibrating against the chassis at very low revs .. the MKII seems very clunky on gear change,whines like fook when givvin it a bit, town driving is a bit awkward and the play in the g/box makes a fair racket as it engages and disengages under accelearation/deceleration.

After having a new flywheel and clutch fitted last week it has quietened down a little but even now the sync from 3rd to 4 th is a bit slow and gear crunching is a common feature.

but i guess thats the raw appeal of the car !

well im happy that its normal with everyone elses doing it. does make me wonder though, must be a sh*te box or sh*te oil used by reno. ive never heard a car make such loud noises.

cheers

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 14 September 2004

must be a sh*te box or sh*te oil used by reno. ive never heard a car make such loud noises.

cheers
I love all those mechanical noises. You should hear an old Diablo gearbox, whine like fook. And the CLK GTR, unbelievable.

Straight cut gears right behind your head.

I love all those mechanical noises. You should hear an old Diablo gearbox, whine like fook. And the CLK GTR, unbelievable.

Straight cut gears right behind your head.

My thoughts entirely! ;)