ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All polished up for the trophy cabinet!

The car below belongs to Strike from this site.

Unfortunatly the dealer did a ‘rush’ job on cleaning it. The car is absolutely brand new and was for a brand new car quite badly swirled and in some places very deep swirl type scratches, which after 3 passes with a rotary, did not shift!! Being a brand new car I took the cautious route and left them there rather than compounding.

Before pictures of swirls in bonnet

cliotrophy001.jpg

Less obvious swirls in side

cliotrophy013.jpg

Process was QEW wash
light clay
SSR2 on the rotary with a Meguiars polishing pad

#80 on a lake country polishing pad (s) via the cyclo
SSRr2 on plastic bumpers with a 4 inch pad via pc.
Strike wanted maximum durability and with it being too wet/moist cold for sealants to work properly I went for Collinite 476s. This is known to deepen the paint but isn’t best known for its reflective look. So I decided to spit shine it with sonus carnauba spritz.

I used the ‘wax as you go’ (WAYG) technique on each panel as very light rain was forecast and I didn’t want to be caught out with a polished car and then have it rain before the wax went on!

After pics of bonnet and door after polishing

cliotrophy004.jpg

After pics of door

cliotrophy017.jpg

wide shot of bonnet after #80

cliotrophy005.jpg

Bonnet after spit shining collinite

cliotrophy007.jpg

Side shot after spit shining – I was especially impressed with this as I achieved my aim of reflection and depth

cliotrophy020.jpg

It then started to rain so no great after shots

cliotrophy025.jpg

cliotrophy024.jpg

cliotrophy030.jpg

Nice to see it clean.:approve: Was grubby as hell last weekend when i was in it. Btw i'll have to drop that alcohol back to you this weekend fella keep forgetting.

Lee

BMW M2C
Lovely.

I was talking to him about it last night, can't believe the dealer did that to it. They normally wait until the wash at the first service to f**k your paintwork up.

What more can I say, Brazo, you are THE MAN. :D

As Brazo said the swirling was IMHO very bad for a brand new car. But not anymore, it looks absolutely pukka now.

Its always a bonus to wake up to something that looks better in the morning than it did the night before!

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Very Nice :) I may have to dig out the PC myself this weekend.

Top work Brazo!

Black/Gold 182
Brazo, looks great. No matter how carefully I clean my Black/Gold 182, I get scratches all over the place. They are still building new houses where I live and I reckon sand particles are the cause.

Will have to pay you a visit once the building work is complete! One question, does this kind of working damage the paint in any way? I mean polishing is essentially removing some of the paint right?

The car is brand new he only just picked it up last week. They damaged it doing the post PDI clean/valet not during a service wash.

JBarber said:
Brazo, looks great. No matter how carefully I clean my Black/Gold 182, I get scratches all over the place. They are still building new houses where I live and I reckon sand particles are the cause.

Will have to pay you a visit once the building work is complete! One question, does this kind of working damage the paint in any way? I mean polishing is essentially removing some of the paint right?

It removes a few microns from the top layer of paint, which is quite safe in moderation, Its not something you should be doing every month though! With proper aftercare future swirling should be minimised/eliminated.

Fine consistent Swirls are in esscence damaged paint anyway so whether you leave it there or not its not helping you much. Deeper random scratches are a different matter and as said above with these its often best to improve rather than fully remove.

Show cars are wet sanded and then polished back and as long as done properly and within the tolerances of whats safe to remove then this is fine. wet sanding removes far more paint than just a polish up. I use the least agressive products I can whereas a bodyshoip for example will just go for the quickest.

Black/Gold 182
I'm pretty sure the scratches I have are in "just" in the clearcoat so could be minimised with polishing (by someone who knows what they're doing). The clearcoat seems very soft on clios, I have even marked it with my fingernails in places!

^^I found it quite hard on the trophy but soft on some other clios, too many variables in the renault paintshop!

Black/Gold 182
well, once the building work finishes (March 06 hopefully) maybe I can come down and get you to put it right. Happy to pay of course.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
pmsl at this thread. "achieved my aim of reflection and depth" fpmsl!!! get a life please.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
yeecup said:
pmsl at this thread. "achieved my aim of reflection and depth" fpmsl!!! get a life please.

^^^agreed! is there nothing else you polishers can do? pub? watch football?
go out with the mrs?

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I think it looks great, and deff worth the time doing. It is a great feeling having your car look so good - even though in the uk with the crap weather it don't last too long.

Great job Brazo!

54 astravan 1.7tdci
corsapower said:
My balls look a bit dull and faded, can anyone recommend anything to bring out the required depth and shine ?
quik detailer and an mf cloth should have them looking like new.lol

yeecup said:

Its nice to know you read my write up so in depth as that comment was somewhat 'buried' lol!

I must apologise to you yeecup the above text and pic was rather lazily cut and copied from a detailing forum that I use, next time I'll edit the 'big' words so as not to offend you :)

superfastdan said:
^^^agreed! is there nothing else you polishers can do? pub? watch football?
go out with the mrs?

This was actually 'work' for me. do you watch tv, go to the pub or take your mrs out on work time?

Soz its taken me so long to reply I've just come back from a weekend which combined all the attributes you seem to love :)

brazo said:
Its nice to know you read my write up so in depth as that comment was somewhat 'buried' lol!

I must apologise to you yeecup the above text and pic was rather lazily cut and copied from a detailing forum that I use, next time I'll edit the 'big' words so as not to offend you :)

PMSL. Nice one Brazo.

There are worse things than taking pride in your work, having the opportunity to work out of doors, and being paid for it by happy customers... and I do mean detailing cars Si.