ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alarm Has Gone Crazy

Titanium 182
Hi, last night my car alarm decided to start going off (3 times in total). I've checked the windows are up etc, the only thing I found during the night was my passenger side interior sensor had been turned so it was facing outside the car. I sorted that and presumed everything was ok until it just went off again. Having a look under the bonnet and I discovered this little gem. Any ideas if this is alarm related? I have completely removed the black tube now.

11134240_10153187155978397_1711387729_n.jpg

11125229_10153187155913397_1890519130_n.jpg

As you can see, one of the cables has snapped and come away from the unit, it is bound to the bonnet release cable so I'm hoping that this was the culprit.

Thanks

That looks like the bonnet closure sensor (part of the alarm system) connector but I really don't recall both wires being black. The wiring definitely isn't that long as standard either so looks to have been modified. There are two versions of the bonnet closure switch and the plugs are different, so be careful if you buy another one online etc (though with some soldering/crimping both will work).

The upshot is that the alarm will go if the sensor is plugged in and then tampered with, but the alarm does not go off if the sensor is simply left unplugged.

Unplug the bonnet sensor, leave it overnight and see what happens.

Second culprit after this seems to be the proximity sensors just getting a bit old & over sensitive. Tracing the wiring all the way back to the alarm module (which can be in different places since they were fitted by the dealer upon import not the factory) there's a white & red connector. Swapping them around reduces the sensitivity by a factor of 4 IIRC. Can provide pics if required.

Titanium 182
Thanks for that Steven, surprised I have never noticed it before. Just glad it isn't anything else, I'll keep my eye on it over the next 24hrs then. I was reading about the wiring on these interior sensors and saw the part about the 20/80% sensitivity. However from what I read I was expecting to see x2 wires going into these interior sensors? I only have 1 on each?

Thanks

BG Clio 182
Thanks for that Steven, surprised I have never noticed it before. Just glad it isn't anything else, I'll keep my eye on it over the next 24hrs then. I was reading about the wiring on these interior sensors and saw the part about the 20/80% sensitivity. However from what I read I was expecting to see x2 wires going into these interior sensors? I only have 1 on each?

Thanks
Mine doesn't have a bonnet sensor, I see no need to replace the blank space where mine should have been or once was haha. I presume it was a problem in the past or something lol!

Titanium 182
Well unfortunately the knackered bonnet connection wasn't the fault. I came back to the car today after leaving it for 8 hours to find the LED flashing in 3 blinks. I've manually turned off the internal sensors tonight as apparently that blinking is an indication it's them.

I've read quite a few threads regarding things to check like air vents & windows and I cannot see anything it could be. Only thing I have noticed is my sensors have a single wire going to them as opposed to two wires as I have seen quoted several times. Can I just cover these up with some blue tack for the time being or will that trigger them still?

Thanks

Titanium 182
Ah ok that would makes sense lol, how can I permanantly disable these untill I have a proper solution. At the moment I am doing the temp disable every time I leave the car.

RB Clio 182
Mine doesn't have a bonnet sensor, I see no need to replace the blank space where mine should have been or once was haha. I presume it was a problem in the past or something lol!

Must have had a new grill at some point mate, i bought a brand new one and it had the blank there, i had to drill it out.

BG Clio 182
hahahaha b*****d!

It will be sorted shortly after i have received my box mate, Andy at clioturbo is doing it for an unbeatable price.

Great guy!
Yeah he seems awesome mate!

Shouldn't be long before mines in for some boosting [emoji14] haha.

It had to be said. ;)