ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aircon Compressor Change

Titanium 182
Hi,

As per a previous thread I need a new aircon unit, I've ordered a replacement and should have it by the weekend. Will I be able to fit this myself? I'm not 100% sure but it looks like I might have to remove the alternator which would mean removing the AUX belt? Or can I change the AC without touching removing the alternator? Any special tools etc?

Thanks for any help, I couldn't find any guided besides an AC delete guide from PMS

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, i'd whip the alternator off. Just for access. Bumper off, slam panel off, alternator off, wheel arch liner out, bam. Easy job tbh.

Aux belt needed to do the AC compressor anyway. Buy the kit and change the lot unless it's been done very recently, then just the belt would be fine IMO.

Titanium 182
Yep, i'd whip the alternator off. Just for access. Bumper off, slam panel off, alternator off, wheel arch liner out, bam. Easy job tbh.

Aux belt needed to do the AC compressor anyway. Buy the kit and change the lot unless it's been done very recently, then just the belt would be fine IMO.

All belts (including AUX) were changed just 2500 miles ago so no need to change any :smile: so if I take the AUX belt off (which as you said is necessary), do I need to tension again?

Thanks Budgie :up:

330i. E30 Touring.
All belts (including AUX) were changed just 2500 miles ago so no need to change any :smile: so if I take the AUX belt off (which as you said is necessary), do I need to tension again?

Thanks Budgie :up:

I would still buy a new aux belt. For the sake of £8 or whatever it'll be, might as well.

Yep, you have to remove/detension the aux belt to remove the AC compressor, so would need to put it back on..

Titanium 182
I would still buy a new aux belt. For the sake of £8 or whatever it'll be, might as well.

Yep, you have to remove/detension the aux belt to remove the AC compressor, so would need to put it back on..
Yea it's a good point actually, I'm ordering one now :up:. Can I just make sure I've got this all sorted then :smile:

Remove alternator, remove AUX belt (jubliee clip method to absorb tension), swap out AC unit, all back together and belts back on and the tensioner will auto tighten so no need for any special tools to gauge this?

Thanks for your help again, really appreciate it :up:

330i. E30 Touring.
Bingo, put the belt back on and the tensioner does the rest.

I don't like using jubilee clips on it. I use a 3/8 bit on a wobbly to do it. Works fine.

Titanium 182
Bingo, put the belt back on and the tensioner does the rest.

I don't like using jubilee clips on it. I use a 3/8 bit on a wobbly to do it. Works fine.
Just spoke to the old man and he said the same thing 😂, sorted I'll get cracking this weekend if the belt arrives in time. You're a star :beers:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Any pressure in the A/C system? If so you'll want that vacuuming out first. Don't just unbolt it and vent it all, firstly it'll make a mess and secondly it's illegal.

Mort tyre places have the correct machines to vacuum the system, then just take it back to them to refill once fitted.

Titanium 182
Any pressure in the A/C system? If so you'll want that vacuuming out first. Don't just unbolt it and vent it all, firstly it'll make a mess and secondly it's illegal.

Mort tyre places have the correct machines to vacuum the system, then just take it back to them to refill once fitted.
My friend is a mech at a garage, he is going to drain and re-gas for me :)

dan's cast offs.
Would you just remove from underneath the car? Thought this might be an approach but wasn't sure!

yeah, drops out easy. jubilee clip on the tensioner, drop the top bolt on the alternator and pull it forward and that slackens the belt more.