ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag plug/wire

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
I've just swapped my steering wheel over to a new one retrimmed by snappy. I was a little bit enthusiastic taking the airbag out and this plug disconnected. I've tried to slot the wire back into the plug in the hope it won't throw up any lights but as expected once the wheel is back on and the ignition is on, the service and airbag and light are on.

My question is - is it worth pulling the wire back out of the plug and just taping it up sperately out of the way? I don't really know too much about airbags but I wasn't sure if there's any danger if the wire suddenly comes out of the plug whilst driving whether it can set the airbag off.

I also need to know how much of a job replacing the wire/plug is..

Any help is much appreciated

30763093033_4a514d8a78_z_d.jpg

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I wouldn't risk the wiring to be honest, in theory it shouldn't go off but I wouldn't want to chance things for very long at all.

To replace the wiring you'll need to replace the steering squib/indicator/light unit behind the steering wheel.

Its not a hard job to be fair, wheel off and undo the wiring plug, then there's a pinch bolt underneath the unit that needs undoing and the whole lot comes away from the column.

You will of course need a replacement unit that matches your existing one (part no's matching)

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
I wouldn't risk the wiring to be honest, in theory it shouldn't go off but I wouldn't want to chance things for very long at all.

To replace the wiring you'll need to replace the steering squib/indicator/light unit behind the steering wheel.

Its not a hard job to be fair, wheel off and undo the wiring plug, then there's a pinch bolt underneath the unit that needs undoing and the whole lot comes away from the column.

You will of course need a replacement unit that matches your existing one (part no's matching)

I've taped the wire up and left it out of the plug for now, but like you said I don't really want to chance it for too long.

I assumed I would have to replace the whole squib, thanks for confirming. I assume the only way of knowing the part number of mine is to remove it? Or will all 182's have the same part numbers?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If you pop the top cover off the steering cowling you should be able to see the part number for the squib, I don't think Renault used too many different part numbers tonbe honest, biggest thing to look out for would be ones with/without steering angle sensors (pretty certain they were part of the squib on later 1*2's)

The indicator/light stalk and the wipers stalk can be removed and then put into another unit, they have a couple of screws holding them in, and one or two mini wiring connectors

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
B
If you pop the top cover off the steering cowling you should be able to see the part number for the squib, I don't think Renault used too many different part numbers tonbe honest, biggest thing to look out for would be ones with/without steering angle sensors (pretty certain they were part of the squib on later 1*2's)

The indicator/light stalk and the wipers stalk can be removed and then put into another unit, they have a couple of screws holding them in, and one or two mini wiring connectors

Big help, cheers mate.

Will check it out at some point this week.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
No problem mate, I've got one or two in the garage, if the part numbers match your more than welcome to one, they'll only end up in the bin at some point otherwise I expect

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
No problem mate, I've got one or two in the garage, if the part numbers match your more than welcome to one, they'll only end up in the bin at some point otherwise I expect
Legend, cheers mate.

I'll give you a shout once I've checked the numbers. :up:

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
Just a quick question.. After this happened I took that yellow/green plug apart (it's just two halves) and can see where the wire joins the plug has come apart, is there any reason why I cant just solder the wire back onto the plug and put it back together?. I know you cant see it in the picture but the two metal/copper strips are folded behind the white bit of the wire.
In my mind there's no reason why this shouldn't work but I'd be curious to know if anyone think it's a bad idea. Just seems easier than replacing the whole squib.