ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag light on - can anyone help - MOT due in a fortnight!!

Renault Clio 182
Hi

I had a crash in my clio 182 earlier this year which set the drivers seat airbag off. Got all the bodywork sorted and replaced seat with one from a 172, but have been trying to get rid of the airbag light on dash for last few weeks. I recently sent the airbag ecu away to get wiped and bought a new sensor, but after fitting these the light is still on.
Can anyone think of a reason for this?

Am desperate to get problem sorted as MOT is due middle of this month. Can't find a clean aftermarket ecu anywhere. Is getting the bulb taken out a solution to get car through MOT or will garage notice this?

Would appreciate any help on this.

Chris

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
Mine passed its MOT today with the airbag and serv light on, they haven't implemented the new regulations yet

They should start later in the summer the tester was saying, all you'll get is a advisory with your MOT

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Chris, have you had it plugged in yet to see what is causing the light to be on?

182, rs4
did u change the pre-tensioner on the seat belt as well? a clip computer wil tell u exactly what it is. but as its only an advisory at the moment i wouldnt take the bulb out as the light has to come on and go off when the new regs start like the abs light.

182 trackday racer
Hi

I had a crash in my clio 182 earlier this year which set the drivers seat airbag off. Got all the bodywork sorted and replaced seat with one from a 172, but have been trying to get rid of the airbag light on dash for last few weeks. I recently sent the airbag ecu away to get wiped and bought a new sensor, but after fitting these the light is still on.
Can anyone think of a reason for this?

Am desperate to get problem sorted as MOT is due middle of this month. Can't find a clean aftermarket ecu anywhere. Is getting the bulb taken out a solution to get car through MOT or will garage notice this?

Would appreciate any help on this.

Chris

Where did you send your Airbag ECU? Have no airbags present and these have been disabled in inte Airbag ECU with RSTuners Airbag module. However I did not pull the plug on the sensors... Hit a curb on the track like Ive done a milio times this time the damn sensor indicated making my Airbag ECU fcked. Ironic isnt it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get a handheld code reader for £30 off ebay, or borrow one?

Get into the carpark of the mot station, plug it in, turn off light.

Drive away from MOT station with new certificate and the light will come on by the time you get home.

182 trackday racer
Get a handheld code reader for £30 off ebay, or borrow one?

Get into the carpark of the mot station, plug it in, turn off light.

Drive away from MOT station with new certificate and the light will come on by the time you get home.

Well Im not sure it will be allowed to clear this code tbh, I have the ability to erase all engine codes, abs and airbag with my RSTuner modules, but this one can not be erased gets rejected buy the airbag ecu. Ill sent Henk a message to see what the genious can do,

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well Im not sure it will be allowed to clear this code tbh, I have the ability to erase all engine codes, abs and airbag with my RSTuner modules, but this one can not be erased gets rejected buy the airbag ecu. Ill sent Henk a message to see what the genious can do,

My apologies, I only scan read the title and the OP.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
OP - If the airbags have been deployed its a one shot system as far as I'm aware. You need a new airbag ECU plumbing into your car.

If plugged into clip it will come up as a red fault that can't be erased.

As soon as its been fired you won't get the lights off until you replace it. Take it to Mick to fix.

182 trackday racer
OP - If the airbags have been deployed its a one shot system as far as I'm aware. You need a new airbag ECU plumbing into your car.

If plugged into clip it will come up as a red fault that can't be erased.

As soon as its been fired you won't get the lights off until you replace it. Take it to Mick to fix.

It may be a bit far for me to bring it to Mick's place Im afraid ;)

Ill see what Henk will tell me if he says its a no go with the module Ill send it to these guys: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1c412cd9

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've used the airbag ECU places on ebay a few times before. Perfect service.

You dont need to worry with this years MOT as you wont fail with an airbag light on. The only light you will fail on is an ABS light.

182 trackday racer
You dont need to worry with this years MOT as you wont fail with an airbag light on. The only light you will fail on is an ABS light.

In Uk that may be the case but I live in Sweden. They read the fault codes directly from the OBD, so I need this fixed or im sqrewed at the next MOT.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
With a resistor fitted, will it still send up the fault?

After a logged deployment? Yes, for the reason Boosh stated above. The SRS control unit is a "one use" only item and then it locks itself in a constant fault state and really you should replace it for a new one.

There are "people" that can re-fash the EPROM to remove the crash data (I'm not one so wouldn't offer the service i'm afraid) but bare in mind they are designed to be a use once unit so you cannot fully trust them to work correctly again but that doesn't bother phase some as all they're interested in is bodging a car to get it thru the MOT.

Mick
Diamond Motors

In case you removed all your airbags like GodSpeed did, you can lock the airbag computer completely with the RSTuner airbag module. That way when you hit a curb to hard on the track it shouldn't trigger / register a crash event.
Locking the airbag computer disables all airbags to be deployed in a crash, use with caution.