ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air bag light, serv light mot

Clio Campus Sport
My airbag light is on, with the service light, it has been for a few years now and mot due in August so really need to think about getting it fixed.
2 years ago we had the lights flick on and off in time with bottles rolling out from under the passenger seat, got rid of the connectors and soldered the wires together, problem solved.
Last year light came back on and I replaced a pre tensioner, as that's what the garage said the code was for.
The garage passed the mot even tho the light would come back on after few mins of being cleared.

So next step, how can I fault find?
When I turn off the passenger airbag the babyseat warning light comes on on the dash but then goes out and is replaced by the airbag/ service light, where as before all 3 lights would be on once I turned the passenger air bag off.
Don't really have much money but need this fixed before the mot.
Read on a few old posts if the light dosnt come on its just and advisory, not a fail, is this still correct?
Thinking of just whipping the bulbs out!!
Don't really want to have to find a Renault garage and spend a fortune on them plugging it in for 2mins.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
A diagnostic test is the only way really to find out whats at fault with the airbag system, you don't have to go to Renault but you would need someone with a diagnostic machine capable of showing manufacturer specific fault codes.

I believe it is still only an advisory if the airbag light down illuminate but I'm not 100% certain, I do know however that the light is an led rather than a standard bulb so you'd need to either tape over it or paint out the logo on the instrument cluster.

Clio Campus Sport
That's what I thought, unfortunately I don't know anyone with one.
I believe it's electrical as the replaced pre tensioner should have fixed it last year but the garage didn't comment when I asked why the light was still on and the fact it's a 2 door and I have a child so constant seat movement everyday.
Tempted to take the dash apart and tape it over haha. Maybe if by August if it's not fixed then that will have to be a last resort.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I took my clocks out and broke the LED off of the circuit board with a small screwdriver. Probably took about an hour. Bit of a brutish method, but it did the trick (obviously). And you have to have the needles off of the dials to do it, although a kitchen fork is perfect for that.
One thing to watch out is that in theory they can fail the car if the light doesn't come on with the ignition and then go off in a few seconds, but in practice I've never heard someone fail on it. Mine's certainly gone through a few MOT's with it like that.
I also crashed one with the airbag light on, and the airbags and pretensioners still fired, which thinking about it seems odd.

Clio Campus Sport
I intend on borrowing a multimeter and going through all the electrics, it's odd because my original air bag light issue was just bottles moving the under seat wires, the light literally came on as the bottles rolled out and went out when they rolled back under haha. I would have assumed you had to clear the fault to clear the light.
Think I'll stick to tape! Sounds less faff.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
The light is self cancelling, once the faulty component is replaced then the light will go off, no need to erase the code from the system. Yes the ecu will log the code until it is erased but it wont keep the light on.

172 cup
My Clio failed on having the airbag light and serv light on 6 months ago! Have u had a bump in ur car? If so the airbag ECU will need wiping ( i payed 20 pounds to get it done)

Clio Campus Sport
Actually we have. My partner went into the back of someone the day we got the car and I skidded on some ice and bumped another car a year and half ago now. No damage both times as such low speed thankfully.
But saying that the garage that mot it last August should have wiped it after I replaced the pre tensioner.
Is wiping the ecu different to plugging it into a Renault diagnostic computer?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Wiping the ecu is different to just clearing codes yes. If the ecu has logged crash data then it will need resetting rather than just having codes cleared.

172 cup
That might be the problem ! Ur airbag ECU needs wiping as it's got crash data stored on it! U can get this done for 20pounds ( I'll give u a number if u like ) u also have to fix the faulty parts like the inpact sensors! When i first had this issue after sliding into a curb i got someone to come out and read the faults witch didn't really help as it had around 12 faults that made no sense! But in the end i just replaced the inpact sensors then sent my ECU off and them was fine:)

172 cup
IMG_20170415_134541.jpg

Clio Campus Sport
Sent the ecu off today but I asked the guy to let me know the fault codes and he said he cant as it comes back as just letters? Anyone know what he means?
So I'm going to replace both crash sensors before plugging the ecu back in and fingers crossed.
Where are the crash sensors you mentioned? I can only find posts mentioning them being on a "sill" by the seats. I don't even know where to start looking!

172 cup
I'm unsure if every Clio has them but I could be wrong ! What's ur Cleo? They are on the sill next to the seat ( maybe under the plastic trim ) look like this.....
s-l400.jpg

Clio 182 FF
Could be the other pretensioner has gone off. Check the height of the seat belt stalks compared to each other. On renaults it's common for diagnostic machines to report the wrong side has failed due to they think it's a left hand drive. A minor impact which only set off a pretensioner won't need a crash data reset. Get it on a diagnostic machine which can rear the impedance of each airbag and pretensioner to find out which ones reading wrong. Disconnect the one you think is faulty and see if the impedance reading changes. If not disconnect the other side. Then you know what to look for. No point guessing.

Clio Campus Sport
Replaced the blown pretensioner. Light still on. 2 months without the car now. I don't know whether to cry or destroy the b*****d car.
Passenger underneath seat wires have been soldered. Next step Is to solder driver side wires.
Anyone got a link to the post about soldering the wires? I can't find it right now.
And what are the black and red end clips under the seat that have 3 wires going on but none coming out the otherside.

Clio Campus Sport
My problem is I can't afford to pay Renault prices to plug it in. I don't have 2 pennies to rub together. It's taken 2 months to afford. £15 mot and £100 of parts. So I'm stuck with no car until I can sort this airbag light problem and raise more money for another mot. I'm resisting covering the led because it dosnt solve the safety issue. Looking like it will be my only option tho.

Clio 182 FF
No worries. Most garages would have a scanner that can talk to your car. For instance I would plug it in and check it for £10/15 and find out what's wrong. Doesn't have to be a main dealer. I'm just too far away for you though.

Clio Campus Sport
Thanks, I've got a few more ideas, last year the horn had a moment going off round corners, so I'm thinking trapped wires in the steering squib. It's just so frustrating lol. Gunna give it a going over this weekend, check all the wiring and if that fails I'll tape the led, mot it and find someone somewhere that will plug it in for me for cheap when I'm traveling.

Not much I can add that's helpful, but I hope you can get it sorted (and cheaply).

Just to ask - is your MOT place a large garage? A small garage with a friendly man may be more 'accommodating'...

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Only just read this. You need someone local with RS Tuner or clip. It's a real easy job to plug in and read what code or codes are causing the fault.
Using RS Tuner you can turn off the faulty sensor, which will turn off the airbag light. Or alternatively identify the fault and replace the part. On track cars with various airbags removed this is how the light is turned off, but still goes through the cycle.
Shame you are not closer or I would happily do this for you.

dan's cast offs.
Stick some tape.over the light, will save you stressing about it and then get it looked at when you've got some spare cash or cam find someone you can trust to loom at it for you.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
just to confirm for anyone reading this thread, a yellow SERV light permanently ON will NOT fail an MOT. Will not even be commented on in relation to mine. "Noisy exhaust" was only comment on mine :)

Clio Campus Sport
Right got the dash off and the dial bit out. What's the best way to access the airbag led. Popping off the clear plastic front, dials and going through there or unscrewing the back and going that way?

Clio Campus Sport
Nm all done although my dials look out now but battery has died so can't check them. What's the best way to check the are pointing in the right place? Check them against the "hidden menu" that starts up when you hold the button in and start up the electrics?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It won't fail an MOT as you found out.. so why are you messing about with it ?

Get it read at some point in the future and see what the actual issue is. Where are you based ? Someone local will have Clip or even a cheap code reader.

Clio Campus Sport
Because it did fail. I've only just taken the dash apart today and covered over the led. I'm on the south coast near Bournemouth

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Airbag light on used to be an advisory, but is an mot fail. This has been the case for some time now.

If just the service light on its own this is not a fail, but could cause them to look a bit closer.

Most garages don't check, but when you turn the ignition on the airbag light should illuminate and then go out to indicate the system is working correctly.
It can be failed if it does not go through this process.

dan's cast offs.
Most garages don't check, but when you turn the ignition on the airbag light should illuminate and then go out to indicate the system is working correctly.
It can be failed if it does not go through this process.

it's 100% not a fail, it's p&a only.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
it's 100% not a fail, it's p&a only.
Apologies, you are indeed correct. Airbag light on indicating a fault is a fail.
Airbag light inoperative is as you state. There was a revised note by VOSA due to confusion.
There is also a possible pass if light is on to do with passenger seat!! Clear as mud.
Either way I appriciate the op needs an mot, but would definately try and get someone to read the codes as more than likely an easy fix and better working than not with all airbags still fitted.

Clio Campus Sport
It passed! Yay. I do intend on plugging it in and getting to the bottom of the real issue, was just getting a bit wearing driving 100 miles a day dropping partner to work when we were down to one car for the 2months. Naturally the eml came on during the mot so that seemed to distract from the service light being on because he didn't mention it.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
my belief is that mechanics not experienced in Clios see the yellow SERV light and just think its time for a dealer service, and owner is ignoring
Obvs any red lights they get concerned about

Westfield, 182, 200
If you're handy with a multi meter, I have the pin out for the airbag ecu plug.

Basically, you check 2 wires at a time (from memory, they are opposite each other on the plug) and you should get approx 3 ohms on all airbags/pre tensioners. Side impact sensors are several mega ohms.

I did my son's car this way recently as I lent my fault code reader out and it came back broken! I've replaced all the connectors under the seat. This time it was the squib/clock ring that was faulty.

Ian