ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AHHH! Speed Camera Detector BAN

Oh fook! Article is a little vague but potentially very bad news:

Speed camera detectors to be banned

Devices which detect speed cameras are to be banned, the Government has revealed.
The Department for Transport said it would seek to ban the dashboard devices as soon as possible because of fears motorists were using them to break speed limits without being caught.
Thousands of drivers have installed the detectors after a huge rise in the number of speed camera penalties.
They have already been banned in many European countries including France and Ireland.
A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the problem and as soon as a legislative opportunity becomes available we will seek to make these devices illegal."
Road safety groups welcomed the announcement. Rob Gifford of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety told The Times: "This is a long overdue closing of a legal loophole.
"Speed camera detectors should not be needed by law-abiding drivers."
Transport minister David Jamieson yesterday said he was happy for people to know where the cameras were. But he did not want information to be passed on revealing whether or not they were switched on.
He told a Commons committee: "If there is a map showing where they are, then I think thats a good idea, because people will then be very careful in that area."
He also ruled out random breath-testing and said there were no plans to lower the legal drink-drive limit.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040716/344/ey55n.htmlhttp://uk.news.yahoo.com/040716/344/ey55n.html

:(

Surely that then allows us to argue that they are only out to get money on the devices.

If the detectors warn in advance of balck spots and dangerous areas - where speed cameras are - of course - as they are only allowed to place speed cameras in areas that are dangerous - cause they stick to that rule - and dont make cash out of them at all... *sorry... I cant stop :p then surely advance warning of danger areas are to be encouraged!

I slwo down in plenty of time for speed cameras and also am weary of accident black spots etc on motorways and roads etc... They help drivers more than drivers abuse them!

Lee

BMW M2C

Once again they prove that they are more concerned about making money. Couldnt perverting the course of justice in this case be seen as prevention!! If it prevents the crime from taking place then surely thats a good thing.

Ive found my b2 very useful. Im always extra careful when it warns of an accident black spot.

Typical that instead of looking at why people have been buying these devices they just tackle the problem the only way they know how with new legislation which just causes more bad feeling towards the government from motorists.

Since buying the b2 Ive actually driven more carefully believe it or not. That little speed readout just in the corner of your eye all the time makes me pay more attention to the speed Im travelling.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Interesting, but......

"Transport minister David Jamieson yesterday said he was happy for people to know where the cameras were. But he did not want information to be passed on revealing whether or not they were switched on. "

Surely thats all Road Angels and B2s do? They alert you to the presence of them, not whether they are "On" or not.

Lee

BMW M2C

I wonder if this could mean things like the b2 are fine provided you remove the laser detector!!

"Transport minister David Jamieson yesterday said he was happy for people to know where the cameras were. But he did not want information to be passed on revealing whether or not they were switched on. "

It is my hope that this means that the GPS detectors might be ok! ... they dont after-all know whether cameras are switched on, they just point out where all known cameras are (which surely is a good thing??!)

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 16 July 2004

Surely thats all Road Angels and B2s do? They alert you to the presence of them, not whether they are "On" or not.

Ah, you bet me to it! ;)... I hope we are right though!?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

What about things like PDAs with TomTom and Speed Camera plugins?

As far as Im concerned, my b2 is a "BlackSpot database" and not a detector, becuase it doesnt detect the speed cameras.

Camera locators are fine as the whereabouts of speed cameras are in the public domain anyway.

It is detectors such as radar/laser that they want to ban bad news for the new road angel as it is integrated and all one piece!

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 16 July 2004

What about things like PDAs with TomTom and Speed Camera plugins?

As far as Im concerned, my b2 is a "BlackSpot database" and not a detector, becuase it doesnt detect the speed cameras.
Provided you remove the laser detector. ;)

"However, a DfT spokesman said there were no plans to ban satellite navigation-based (GPS) detectors which warn motorists of approaching camera sites. We dont have any problem with people knowing the location of cameras - thats why theyre listed on the internet, he said."

Nippy white cup

Surely the companies that manufacture the detectors will put up a fight?! How much money will they loose?!

Chris

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

There cash machines must be running empty..

Ban detectors ? What a great way to say, yep you were right, it has fook all to do with safety ! Like that old bloke that was warning people about the speed camera ?? err if speed camera locations are public domain, then all he was doing was informing people of the location ?? how can they justify doing that guy for anything !

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 16 July 2004

Surely the companies that manufacture the detectors will put up a fight?! How much money will they loose?!

Chris
Look at the technology which they have invested so heavily in, and all the people who would be put out of work if that law was passed!!

Id better start looking at a stealth installation of the radar detector unit.;)
I read that _KDF. They dont want prevention as it stops them cashing in. If they really wanted to slow people down we would have more speed bumps and those dam traffic flow things which make you give way to oncoming traffic, then a few yards on its the opposite!
[Edited by Lee M on 16 July 2004 at 11:28am]

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 16 July 2004

"However, a DfT spokesman said there were no plans to ban satellite navigation-based (GPS) detectors which warn motorists of approaching camera sites. We dont have any problem with people knowing the location of cameras - thats why theyre listed on the internet, he said."
Where did this quote come from then?

[Edited by craig182 on 16 July 2004 at 11:36am]

Found it .... http://www.sky.com/skynews/xml/article/0,,40000-209331,00.html">http://www.sky.com/skynews/xml/article/0,,40000-209331,00.html

Thats not quite so bad then :)