ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aftermarket Steering Wheel & MOT

I understand there are some new mot rules this year, is my car likely to pass with a renault sport Sabelt wheel with no airbag, and no lights on the dashboard?

Yes it should pass. My understanding of the new rules is that it would fail if you had the lights on or had just removed the airbag but kept the standard wheel.

172 Cup
My understanding of the rule is that if a standard airbag is missing or faulty it will fail. Thats why i have a headache when it comes to my MOT. I not 100% sure though.

Supplementary restraints

The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if an SRS malfunction light is missing, not working or indicating a fault.

The way it reads sounds like it will fail? has anyone had an mot recently with an aftermarket wheel fitted?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've been wondering this since I first heard about the new rules.

No-one seems to know if an aftermarket steering wheel will pass,
not to mention bucket seats, as the standard seats in mine have curtain airbags.

I have no clue if it's worth buying an aftermarket steering wheel or seats.

I had my MOT today. Got a Sabelt wheel.
Upon collecting he said did it not come with a steering wheel airbag as standard, I said no it did, I've changed the wheel.
He said you'll have a problem next year then, as it'll be a fail.

Something about only if you've got a specific type of Harness..
Regarding seats my Recaros are using standard belts + pretensioners, so all should be fine there.

Don't know if that's just his interpretation of the ruling..