ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aftermarket ecu wiring

ph1 172
Ive seen a few aftermarket ecu's installed in clios but the renault ecu is always left in. Why is this?

I troubleshooted one 'professionally' installed omex system that was a fire waiting to happen.

Ive been thinking about making up an adaptor which would plug into the original ecu plug...

Do all RS clios have the same ecu connector?

ValverInBits
Ive seen a few aftermarket ecu's installed in clios but the renault ecu is always left in. Why is this?

I troubleshooted one 'professionally' installed omex system that was a fire waiting to happen.

Ive been thinking about making up an adaptor which would plug into the original ecu plug...

Do all RS clios have the same ecu connector?

don't have 1st hand experience, but it's very very likely - bar the 197

LY 182
no, the ecu controls everything

dash,, speedo runs through it, i think the rev counter is run through it + all the uch (body computer)functions wont work without the ecu plugged in,, and thats EVERYTHING interior/ exterior lighting wise

ph1 172
I could make a unit to spoof all the messages but it would be a lot of effort, especially as i dont have a ph2-> to test with.

ph1 172
well you could have an adaptor that plugged into the ecu loom plug and ran wires to the new ecu's plug.

This would give you...

1) would only have to have 1 ecu - save some weight
2) the wiring would be a lot safer, no soldering etc - the engine loom would stay standard, and this would mean there was no (or little) labour to install the ecu
3) the wiring could be put back to standard in the time it takes to plug the old ecu back in

R35 GTR
I thought for aftermarket ecu's you just bought a ready made loom, disconnected all sensors etc from the factory ecu and plugged into new loom, job done. How can it be any easier?

well you could have an adaptor that plugged into the ecu loom plug and ran wires to the new ecu's plug.

This would give you...

1) would only have to have 1 ecu - save some weight
2) the wiring would be a lot safer, no soldering etc - the engine loom would stay standard, and this would mean there was no (or little) labour to install the ecu
3) the wiring could be put back to standard in the time it takes to plug the old ecu back in

You would lose more weight driving without your shoes :)

ph1 172
I thought for aftermarket ecu's you just bought a ready made loom, disconnected all sensors etc from the factory ecu and plugged into new loom, job done. How can it be any easier?

ive yet to see one for a clio with all the right plugs on, the dashboard wouldnt work and the engine loom connects into other circuits in the car, there would be lots of connections to change in the fuse box and god knows where else...

Im sure you could change the whole engine loom for one with the correct ecu plug but what is the point changing all that wire when a 10cm adaptor would do the trick.

If you dont DIY...

complete new engine loom:
cost: £200-250?
labour to fit: 2-3 hours?

Bodge it with the renault ecu
cost: £20
labour: 5 hours?

10cm Adaptor
cost: £80-100
labour: <10 minutes

Obviously if your doing it yourself then bodging it with the renault ecu is going to be the cheapest but its easy to make mistakes and difficult to reverse.