ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advise on some modifications

Clio 172 PH2
Hi Chaps,

I've had a look around on here and I'm about to pull the plug on a ph2 02 reg Clio 172. Just wanting a bit of advise around power modifications, since it will be a track car will do most the work myself and want to do a budget.

I'm going with
  • Fatty induction kit - with custom cold air feed
  • Inlet exhaust manifold bored out and matched
  • Decat
  • Remap by EFI parts
  • Exhaust manifold and full exhaust
But regarding exhaust manifold and decat plus full exhaust, do these actually make a difference and which makes are the best to add power?
I'm looking on ebay for second hand stuff.

Thanks

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
get shut of the aircon and fit a cup or pms setup.
182 mani won't give peak power gains but midrange it will make a difference, I'm fitting one to my 172 anyhow.
Then get it to efi for mapping once you've done the mods you've said ..

Then to make the car faster just focus on handling and stripping it out, unless your spending big bucks the f4r doesn't gain much but the clios are a nice light car so with a good suspension set up, better brakes rear arb and some polybushes it will be plenty quick enough to surprise some bigger more powerful cars [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 PH2
Damn, forgot to mention I'll be removing the aircon!

So just a fit a clio 182 manifold to the 172?, what about exhaust and decat?

Thanks for advise, i have plans for the handling just tackling engine at the moment, i believe good springs and pads are good on a budget.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
A/C removal will gain you 0bhp. It will, however save you weight. Whether that weight saving is noticeable, or worth it...

Basically what you listed in the OP is about the extent of what you can do cheaply. Everything else will hit the big wall that is the sudden and steep Clio law of diminishing returns. In terms of which exhaust makes the most power, it's much of a muchness - choose the one you like the sound of the most IMO.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mani 182 no difference and an ass to fit

Decent tyres, suspension, brakes, efi map will be the way to go. Oh and a smaller wheel unless you drive busses.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Personally I don't see the point in any power modifications for track use. Just get some decent tyres and brake pads then enjoy it. You bought the wrong car if you just want to go really fast on the straights.

Clio 172 PH2
Thanks for the advise chaps, I'm confused now I read the 182 manifold helps with power but if it's miniscule I won't bother, what about an exhaust system - I have some old 2.5 pipe lying about and a backbox - need to be careful about noise restrictions.

It may well cost effectively, to just decat inlet Port, induction kit and remap.

Point taken about power but reducing weight and adding it does make a difference plus I enjoy it. I'm all ears if people have bits to sell too and may join up to access the marketplace.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Exhaust 2.25 or 2.5 the former being quieter. I have the Ktec system, decat and unsilenced centre and it sounds great, not too loud.

Induction kit. Fatty or the Ktec kit.
Standard is fine but the above gives a nice noise.

Wouldn't worry about matching inlets unless you really want too. £ over performance will be minimal imo. But tinker away :)

Efi 100% for a map.

Clio 172 PH2
Guys regarding exhaust should i just decat stock exhaust or buy an aftermarket (which one do people recommend for weight and gains) - i imagine that later will not really yield much power or weigh much less?
If decat stock exhaust is the a bolt on solution? - does it require a spacer to stop a CEL light coming on?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got a standard exhaust now? If you have it probably won't last too long, they were crap new.

Can get a second hand system with decat for about 200/250 depending on make.

Clio 172 PH2
I've found out its a ktec stealth from the CAT back so should be able to buy a decat for it?

Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah sorry I thought it was a 182 lol

Yeah decat or remove the centre silencer. But tbh the Ktec have a rep to drone