ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advise on a new lens (sony alpha related)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Well as we all know crimbo is fast approaching, my parents have asked what I would like as they would prefer to buy me something than just give me money.

I thought about getting some new parts for the car but I would rather buy that myself, so camera gear it is.

Current gear:
Sony alpha a500, with battery grip.
Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6
Minolta 50mm f1.7
Sony 18-55mm SAM f3.5/5.6 (kit lens)
Jessops 360 AFDS flash
various filters etc.

I have been thinking of getting a new long Zoom lens, but my current one doesn't even get used an awful lot as it is only when I am doing the occasional trackday or race event etc.

So I am abit stuck between a fisheye or a 18-200mm, I think the fisheye would be fantastic but I feel I would benefit from the zoom lens as it would save me swapping from lens to lens, and be a better lens than the kit one.

List of ideas.

Samyang 8mm f3.5 fisheye
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC

Both lenses have great reviews just wondering if anyone has any experience with either.

Cheers Matt

2.2 bar shed.
Superzooms are s**t. Ive got the 8mm, its a nice lens. Stop it to F8 and set the focus properly and you can rock the hyperfocal with everything in focus which is useful. Persinally I'd think about a 24 prime?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yea I have thought about a 24mm prime but was abit unsure as I have the 50mm just means you stand further back lol, you got any pics you have taken with 8mm?

2.2 bar shed.
Yea I have thought about a 24mm prime but was abit unsure as I have the 50mm just means you stand further back lol, you got any pics you have taken with 8mm?

Yea loads, what you going to be shooting and ill see what I can find.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
well i will be shotting things varying from cars - landscape and city shots and also some mountain biking ones.