ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advise on a megane decat

j26

Clio 197
a friend of mine has bought a 225 rs megane and asked me to fit a de-cat pipe for him, just looked on autodata and repair times say 8.8 hours for removal and install of a new catalyst.

has anybody had any experience with this? if so are they really that bad to fit?

any advise would be good thanks

j26

Clio 197
thanks for super quick reply, he said he will refurb my wheels if i fit it for him but sounds like i may be getting the shitty end of the stick, so to speak!!!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
thanks for super quick reply, he said he will refurb my wheels if i fit it for him but sounds like i may be getting the shitty end of the stick, so to speak!!!

I dno about that refurbing wheels is a duull as f**k job.

j26

Clio 197
sorry i was thinking cost wise as i am a mechanic and he is a painter, so it think cost wise he would be coming out better off

BMW M135i
Drivers side shaft out (so drain box oil), anti-rotation mount off the bottom of the engine plus its associated brackets, obstruction spanners needed to get the bolts off the turbo->cat studs (and don't break any!), couple of brackets holding the cat to the block and a hell of a lot of jiggling and wiggling. Oh and something to swap the lambdas over.

And the hub design isn't conventional so getting the shaft out takes longer than normal.

IMO a decat on a megane just isn't worth it unless you're going for big power and can stomach the cost of the milltek sports cat for mot purposes. Its not like its a quick in/out refit every year!

340i
I've done a couple with a mate of mine....

You can do them in around 3 - 4hrs~ with a ramp.

drain gearoil

Drivers side drive shaft out

Slacken off top engine mounts, gives a little more movement when removing the cat

remove lower anti-rotation / stabiliser mount and associated bracket/s

4~ brackets on the cat to remove, the top one was a but fiddly to access iirc.

unbolt cat from turbo (obstruction spanners required).. they can be a pain to remove sometimes!

unbolt cat from downpipe

Then comes the struggle / dance with removing the cat, it isn't easy!

Or.... you can do what I did, cut around 2-3" off the exhaust end of the cat with an airtool, then you can just pull the whole thing out with no messing! (just 2 minutes weld the section back together)

It took 2hrs to complete the job this way, as you do not need to remove the driveshaft... and no need to replace the gear oil ;)

/Pikey

EDIT: beaten to it by Mr. bmh

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've done a couple with a mate of mine....

You can do them in around 3 - 4hrs~ with a ramp.

drain gearoil

Drivers side drive shaft out

Slacken off top engine mounts, gives a little more movement when removing the cat

remove lower anti-rotation / stabiliser mount and associated bracket/s

4~ brackets on the cat to remove, the top one was a but fiddly to access iirc.

unbolt cat from turbo (obstruction spanners required).. they can be a pain to remove sometimes!

unbolt cat from downpipe

Then comes the struggle / dance with removing the cat, it isn't easy!

Or.... you can do what I did, cut around 2-3" off the exhaust end of the cat with an airtool, then you can just pull the whole thing out with no messing! (just 2 minutes weld the section back together)

It took 2hrs to complete the job this way, as you do not need to remove the driveshaft... and no need to replace the gear oil ;)

/Pikey

EDIT: beaten to it by Mr. bmh

All that to fit a decat?

Attachments

• Are_You_Fucking_Kidding_Me_HD_by_CrusierPL.png
    Are_You_Fucking_Kidding_Me_HD_by_CrusierPL.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 172
  340i
well gray ive got a clue ive just got rid of a highly errmmmmm knackered megane in a slight shade of red/pink/black and got a nice bg 182???you know who it is now?

hhahahaaa.... Mystery man reveal yourself!

Hiiiiiiya Adam :eek:

:rasp:

oooo helllloooooo gray!i finally sorted my ass out and found c.s.aint i good for a renault r****d :)
as for the de cat you can shove them up your ass on a megane!mine was done like that not by me you understand because id have the engine tied in with zip ties.